OK Experts - Need Info on Inlay material for 1981 LS Models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar hiro

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a few 'vintage' LS models through my hands but am by no means an 'expert' & I don't read Japanese so, getting this info from old Tokai catalogs is impossible for me.

I am looking to learn what inlay material(s) Tokai used for the 1981 Tokai LS models. If you know please post replies. 8)
Thanks

So, I dug through all 105 pages of threads here at the TF from the 'Vintage (Older than 1985)' sub forum. :eek: Yep, I did some home work :lol:

I saw a few threads that seem to point to the idea that (1981/early 1980s era) LS models through the LS-200 had inlays made from the same material which looks like celluloid nitrate aka pearloid, at least to my eyes.
So, I feel fairly confident that LS models from the 1981 era have inlays made with basically the same material. :)

This is something I wanted to try & determine because I have a theory about my 1981 LS-60 from another thread.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25026

I actually did locate one thread somewhat related to my inquiry; here is the link from nearly 13 years ago.
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9781
It mentions this:
"Tokais 1978-1980 LS-80-LS200 reborn and love rock.. looks like non MOP"
And then there is this:
"My LS80s is also non-MOP and it looks like the chepest plastic they could have found with a lookalike MOP effect"

Those descriptions (non MOP & non-MOP) would seem to point toward celluliod aka pearloid, which is what was used for inlays on the 1952 - 1960 Les Pauls.
Many would consider celluloid to be cheap plastic; it can easily shrink over time, leaving space between the inlay cutout in the rosewood 'board & the edges of the shrinking inlay(s). No teeth required. :)

The early 1978 LS-80s had MOP inlays. I imagine the early LS-100s did too but I never had one.

8) sorry for my possible misinfo here. i had a 1981 LS100 & 1982 LS100S joe walsh once for my friends. i think i remember correctly that the 1981 model had the vintage looking aged color pearl plastic inlay or something but the 1982 model just had the whitish pearl plastic inlays. sorry if i was wrong again.

Latest posts

Back