New/Old Super Edition purchased - photos added - advice needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge69

Reaction score
Okay, I’ve bought a somewhat beat up, Strat type Super Edition from eBay and will post some pics and links up when I receive it.
My first questions are:
Has anyone ever sanded the paint finish off the back of a Tokai neck. The one I’ve bought has been sanded off and has double side dot markers. I think they’re great. I’m assuming the second dot was added after painting or after the neck was chosen to be painted.
Also, the lower extremities of the headstock are an addition, as if the neck was made from 2 pieces of maple, because it was lower quality and Destined to be painted.
The whole guitar looks a mishmash, but I felt it was worth a look.
Did anybody else see it on eBay?

Hodge

Yeah, thanks, everything looks legit, it’s just I have no idea about pickups (whether they’re any good), or how old it is.
I’m guessing 1985-6 because of the rosewood laminated neck.
The Tokai stamped saddles may well have been left over from earlier years.
It seems the whole guitar is made up of various models, just to make something different.
The neck stamp suggests it was ‘All Black’ When it left the factory.

I just want some of the more ‘wiser’ folk on here to pass their judgement (not that you aren’t qualified). :D

Hodge69 said:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/88UhVQq7cTymN2VE6

Ok, the guitar has arrived and I really would like your thoughts.
Neck seems Tokai to me, but I’m not familiar with body routings on these models.
Any comments would be welcome.

Hodge

I personally love the guitar just by looking at the photo.
I imagine it's really nice to play a song with it !!

I personally love the guitar just by looking at the photo.
I imagine it's really nice to play a song with it !!

I love it, due to all it’s flaws. It has double side dot markers where it looks like they’ve been added, and then the neck has been chosen to paint, and they’ve re-done them. I’d love if someone has seen that before.

Back