1978 springy with a butterfly string tree.?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My tokai is said to be a 1978 springy sound it has a narrow neck plate whit no serial on it (8000963) . The serial located on tthe neck pocket . It has an original black bobbin pickups With "A" markings on the pickguard

My concern is ive seen many of 1978 springy they all have a round string tree why mine has a butterfly string tree?

I hope you can share your thoughts about it . Dont know how to post a picture here

it is correct and indicates which style it is made to with regard to year and neck profile.
54 V round st80<120 skunk stripe
58 U square st42<70 depending on yr
60 D square st70
64 U or V rosewood veneer no skunk square st42<120

mdvineng said:
it is correct and indicates which style it is made to with regard to year and neck profile.
54 V round st80<120 skunk stripe
58 U square st42<70 depending on yr
60 D square st70
64 U or V rosewood veneer no skunk square st42<120

If its a 1978 with skunk stripe , butterfly string tree what could be the St model of it and the style of it ?
Because mine looks really and early ones

you have been told before but here we go again.

st60-70-80 with E pups
st100-120 with dim V1 pups

this doesn't exclude someone ringing the changes in the last 42yrs :wink:

all info taken from Peter's most excellent book.

Jeremycanlapan said:
My tokai is said to be a 1978 springy sound it has a narrow neck plate whit no serial on it (8000963) . The serial located on tthe neck pocket .

I hope you can share your thoughts about it . Dont know how to post a picture here

Your serial number tells me its 1st (first 6 months) run of 1978.

Jeremycanlapan said:
If its a 1978 with skunk stripe , butterfly string tree what could be the St model of it and the style of it ?

What ST model? Model number? For getting closer to a model number; does it have a lacquer ('nitro') finish and 'V' neck shape?

'How to post photos'; join a (free) photo host site, upload your photos to that site, copy and paste the BB code in your post (on this forum).

mdvineng said:

st60-70-80 with E pups

For the record :wink: :D , my (1st run) 1978 ST100 came with 'E' pups.

mdvineng said:

st60-70-80 with E pups

Mine has an original black bobbin pickup and an "A" markings on the pickguard , ive seen some also with black bobbin pickups

felixcatus said:
Jeremycanlapan said:
My tokai is said to be a 1978 springy sound it has a narrow neck plate whit no serial on it (8000963) . The serial located on tthe neck pocket .

If its belong to the first issue , is this a rare tokai springy sound

Jeremycanlapan said:

What ST model? Model number? For getting closer to a model number; does it have a lacquer ('nitro') finish and 'V' neck shape?

'How to post photos'; join a (free) photo host site, upload your photos to that site, copy and paste the BB code in your post (on this forum).

felixcatus said:
Jeremycanlapan said:

Jeremycanlapan said:

If its belong to first run would it be considered as a rare one ?

From what ive heard tokai japan first 6 months is for domestic japan only no expert yet by that time

Back