What is a fair price?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toke8675

Reaction score
Thank you for looking I'm currently in the process of shopping for a Tokai LS 50- LS 100, plus the late 70's Reborn LS 80. The prices that I have seen for these vintage guitars have blown my mind. What is a fair price for the above guitars I mentioned. I know what they're selling for but I feel there astronomically too high.

Supply and demand will give you the prices. There are a limited number out there and prices seem to creep up slowly.
Anything in excellent shape will command a top price. I see a Reborn Old LS-80 in very worn condition at Kurosawa for 185,000 yen with no hard case. It is what the market is like these days.

Harold nailed it & it's not just vintage Tokai examples; the ole concept of 'supply & demand' is a constant.

You gotta pay to play, or look somewhere else.

I think where the OP is coming from (not meant disrespectfully) is that quite a few people still see these as affordable substitutes for when you can't afford a Fender or Gibson. There's enough of us who don't see it that way that you get market prices that rival those on a used Historic.

There's also the vintage factor that in itself people pay a premium for. If money were no object, I'd still prefer, say, a 1960s Fender Strat, but if I have to choose between a 1978 Fender or Tokai, I'll take the Tokai any day. If you look at them as vintage guitars, they're still very cheap.

Here is a 120 Les Paul Reborn Old for a sale price of 280,000 yen...
https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop169/DS05855610/
You have to pay extra for all that natural buckle rash and neck mojo.
3762f3e59ff11b5646e6e43e8e49270102458a.jpg

c0f6bca4e33631cf1de215c45739d95df349f4.jpg

yo Harold, I'd bet that veneer top is an extra 50K yen :lol:

glad I bought my Momose MLS-STD/J years ago because they are double the asking price now :eek:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j615465923

I'll take my Momose LS over my Tokais any day; vintage, or non vintage 8)

guitar hiro said:
glad I bought my Momose MLS-STD/J years ago because they are double the asking price now :eek:

I'll take my Momose LS over my Tokais any day; vintage, or non vintage 8)

Knew I should have bought one 7 or 8 years ago. :cry:

Latest posts

Back