1981 TE120

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

Sigmania
Guitar God

Post by Sigmania » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi all. I got the guitar today and it's as beautiful as I expected.

The V neck is awesome!

As for the comparison to the TE80 I recently got, it does sound a little different. Assuming it's the 1meg pots.

I noticed at full volume and the tone pot opened up that the neck pickup is brighter than the TE80. If I roll back the volume it gets warmer and the volume does not noticeably decrease. Would that be the pots?

Also the jack cup was changed. At some point there was a 4 hole flush mount jack cup. Anyone know what was stock in 1981?

Thanks all and thanks Cliff for selling her to me! :)
Regards, Geoff

Peter Mac
Guitar God

Post by Peter Mac » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi guys,

Now I'm going on memory here . . but Breezys don't have a 4 screw jack, they have a wee 'cup' that inserts into the flattened edge so it stays flush. It is a common practice that should the wood wear away around the cup so it falls out, a Les Paul jack plate was the easiest replacement.

Another tone trick with Teles and some top-end Brezzys was to have 2 capacitors - one on the tone pot as normal but also another between the pickup selector lug and the volume pot. I have seen this done using little orange ceramic drop capacitors.
If you really want to bust some tone may I suggest for the Tone pot a VitaminQ PIO 0.033mfd capacitor. It will give some really different variations to the way your tone brightens and rolls of the lows. Leave the front 0.047 where it is also - it makes for some great varieties
Peter Mac
The world will not end today...because it is already tomorrow in Australia.

CliffsComicWorld
Guitar God

Post by CliffsComicWorld » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Aloha Peter,

Thanks for your input ! :D