1981 TE120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought this insane TE 120 from Cliff. Christmas present for myself.

I couldn't resist after getting that 1979 TE80 and playing it. If this guitar sounds as good I may have found my dream guitar. I can't believe how full and resonant the TE80 is.

Just wondering how many of these are out there and if anyone has more info?

Thanks!

Lovely grain on that one Geoff. Congrats !

I've seen about a dozen examples with that edge binding, so not very common.

I really love the binding! Especially the colour.

Sweet 3 tone burst.

Tell me something. What is the reason that out of several el. guitars one might be particularly loud/resonant (not sure how to describe it correctly)?

I've got an SG, LP and EX. Out of em all, to my surprise, the SG which is the thinnest and smallest is the loudest.

Now, where's my present :evil:

Thanks guys and Cliff!

Luke, I'm sure everyone has theories. I noticed that guitars that resonate well do it unplugged also. My alder TE80 does. My 2 cents.

Nice score, Sigmania

I also owned an '81 back in '84 except it was GS (two-tone) and had a rosewood fingerboard. The neck was a 'V' shape and highly flamed but it was an awesome guitar.
I didn't appreciate the Breezy (I'm mainly a Les Paul player) and ended up selling it to buy another Les Paul. I heard that Tommy Emmanual owns it now...
Love to get it back though....

Peter Mac

Thanks guys. I've had a few Teles tho I was never much impressed and prefer a Les Paul typically, but that 1979 TE80 with the two piece alder body made a believer outta me. 😃

Totally agree Udonitron after playing the TE80. What an amazing rage of tones!

Glad you pointed it out to Clif, otherwise I may have never ended up with it.

When you google TE120 you only see a handful of examples, and the grain pattern on this one really stands out.

Here are some pics from Japanese sites of the same guitar.

suki, I have never been either. Mainly a Strat guy and lately Les Pauls (Tokais), but the 1979 TE80 is a beast. Has an amazing Stevie Ray Vaughan blues tone IMHO. Was very surprised, but it was my first Tokai Tele. Heck they could all be like that.

Felixcatus, I don't have it in hand, but Cliff took pics of the electronics. I'll switch over to my computer in a sec.

I can't see....

It's on its way from Hawaii, and should be here in a day or two I bet.

Hi guys,

Felix did you realise your selector switch has been changed.
The original Tokai selector is on Sigmania's TE-120 but yours appears to be a U.S. made variety.

Through trial and error, I have found that one can dismantle and repair the old Tokai ones back to new - not just throw them away

Peter

Geoff, you will love this guitar... here are pictures of stamps

DSCN0477_zps95439b7c.jpg

DSCN0486_zpsc6101dbb.jpg

Latest posts

Back