Tokai Goldstars in comparison to Springy Sounds

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russian Vadim

Reaction score
Were there the same models of Goldstars as there were Springys?

I mean ST-50, ST-60, ST-80 and ST-100. Were the model differences the same (finish, number of pieces in the body, neck profile)?

For example what would a stock '84 Goldstar ST-50 have as far as pickups, finish, 2-piece/3-piece body?

Was a Goldstar practically a Springy but with a different name and without a lawsuit logo?

I am not an expert but from what I have picked up from the forum gurus, the goldstar was IDENTICAL to the springy especially 84/85 but you do need to keep track of the pickup changes.

matt keen said:
I am not an expert but from what I have picked up from the forum gurus, the goldstar was IDENTICAL to the springy especially 84/85 but you do need to keep track of the pickup changes.

What were they? Also hardly ever do you see Goldstar 80 models around.

Russian Vadim said:
matt keen said:

What were they? Also hardly ever do you see Goldstar 80 models around.
Mainly 40 and 50's, less 60's and few 80's
I have seen more 50's than anything

Did any of the goldstars come with the triangular neck profile like on the early springies? The only goldstars I have ever played felt like 70`s or 80`s Strats rather than 50`s and 60`s ones.
Equally the first Breezysounds felt far closer to 60`s teles than the fifties ones to me.

I missed a great candy apple red copy of the original tele deluxe (white binding and no humbucker) for ?400 a year or so back. Wonderful guitar.

ivansc said:
Did any of the goldstars come with the triangular neck profile like on the early springies? The only goldstars I have ever played felt like 70`s or 80`s Strats rather than 50`s and 60`s ones.
Equally the first Breezysounds felt far closer to 60`s teles than the fifties ones to me.

I missed a great candy apple red copy of the original tele deluxe (white binding and no humbucker) for ?400 a year or so back. Wonderful guitar.

Ivan - did you frequent the SOS Forum and if so do you still use a Tweed Deluxe clone?
I got one a few months ago - marvellous thing
Apologies if you are not that Ivan

ivansc said:
Goldie st 60s have a pronounced V neck,and st 80s have a chunky neck and slab board.Gabe.

ivansc said:
Did any of the goldstars come with the triangular neck profile like on the early springies? ... Equally the first Breezysounds felt far closer to 60`s teles than the fifties ones to me.

I've only had one Breezysound, and it's an '81 TE-80 with rosewood veneer fingerboard. That definitely has a vee profile.

It contrasts with my two '83 ST-50s (one maple, one rosewood) which have the more typical round C profile.

Is that Ivan from the Reaper forum?

I have an '83 Goldstar TST55, myself, in completely original spec.
The pickups in mine are the grey bottomed 'U' stamped ones. It's a breath taking guitar, much better than the Fender vintage reissues. As I remember it, the 'V' profile necks were on the ST80 or ST120 models(?) - maybe someone can confirm. I vaguely remember the higher number designation being the ones with nitro finishes and 'V' profile necks.
Cheers

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html

83/84 maple necked Goldie st 50,
brass plate under control knobs
U pickups,
C neck
5 digit serial no.
butterfly string retainer
3 piece(usually),poly finished body.
Sometime later in 84 pickups changed to V11
By 85 brass plate replaced by silver foil .5 digits replaced by 6.

83/84 maple necked Goldie st 60,
brass plate under control knobs,
E pickups.
V neck
4 digit serial number
round button string retainer
2 piece poly finished body
Sometime later in 84 pickups changed to V.
By 85 brass plate replaced by silver foil .

Ther was no Goldie st 120 and the 100 came with a locking trem.Gabe.

TST50(maple) [Body] alder [Neck] maple 1-piece '58U-shap [Pickup] ST Vintage Mk.II [Parts] White 1ply [Finish/Color] GS, YS, OW, BB, MR

TST50(rosewood) [Body] alder [Neck] maple [Fretboard] rosewood round [Pickup] ST Vintage Mk.II [Parts] White 3ply [Finish/Color] GSR, YSR, OWR, BRR, MRR

TST60(maple) [Body] alder [Neck] maple 1-piece '54V-shape [Pickup] ST Vintage [Parts] White 1ply [Finish/Color] GS, YS, OW, BB, MR

TST60(rosewood) [Body] alder [Neck] maple [Fretboard] rosewood round [Pickup] ST Vintage [Parts] White 3ply [Finish/Color] GSR, YSR, OWR, BRR, MRR

TST80(maple) [Body] alder [Neck] maple 1-piece '54V-shape [Pickup] Dimarzio VS1 [Parts] White 1ply [Finish/Color] lacquer GS, YS, OW, BB, MR

TST80(rosewood) [Body] alder [Neck] maple [Fretboard] rosewood flat [Pickup] Dimarzio VS1 [Parts] celluloid white 3ply [Finish/Color] lacquer GSR, YSR, OWR, BBR, MRR

TST100(maple) [Body] alder [Neck] maple 1-piece '54V-shape [Pickup] Dimarzio VS1 [Parts] White1ply, E.T.tremolo [Finish/Color] lacquer GS, YS, OW, BB, MR

TST100(rosewood) [Body] alder [Neck] maple [Fretboard] rosewood flat [Pickup] Dimarzio VS1 [Parts] celluloid white 3ply, E.T.tremolo [Finish/Color] lacquer GSR, YSR, OWR, BBR, MRR

TST70 [Body] alder [Neck] maple '64U-shape [Fretboard] maple round [Pickup] ST Vintage [Parts] celluloid white 3ply [Finish/Color] YS, FO

Been in France since late March and had very limited internettery.

And yes I am the same IvanSC I have always been! (grin)
Nice to see some familiar faces hanging around here.

I finally met the famed Ampmaker face to face for the first time last night, after corresponding via the net for years.

A great pleasure, Barry!

Indeed! Had to leave while you were still playing, but enjoyed every moment. That ST-80 sounds very good in your hands.

Will be in touch re lunch/etc! :)

(grin) when I told everyone in the band I was selling it, they were all saying I was mad.

But you should hear my OTHER strat......

Looking forward to lunch.

Latest posts

Back