average price of 84' Goldstar in US?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilmourjunkie

Reaction score
Due to some recent GAS, I'm thinking of selling my Goldstar.... it just doesn't get played. I could never bond with the larger C shaped neck. I'm not sure what the going price is for them in the states since they are not very common, especially with the correct headstock. Mostly original, one tuner has been changed. In remarkable shape considering its age IMO. Anyone know?

gilmourjunkie said:
I'm not sure what the going price is for them in the states since they are not very common, especially with the correct headstock.

Even if they were rare, which I don't think they are, it wouldn't have a big impact on value. There are so many flavors of Strat copies out there a buyer has endless options.

Most Tokai people will want the earlier Springy Sound models so you'll be competing against those earlier, more desirable models. The Goldstars edge into the time frame where Tokai quality went down (after 1983). So that's another strike against.

Value will depend on the model spec, color, features, condition and originality.

Well Cali Girl my fondness for Goldstars is well known so you might accuse me of bias, but I`ve owned and played over a hundred Goldies and Springys and I `ve never noticed a fall off in quality in 84.If anything an 84 Goldie with final pro spec bridge with iron block is arguably a better guitar than a Springy with a one piece Mazac unit.The difference in price between the two models in my opinion is almost entirely down to decal logo snobbery, not build quality.Gabe.

It goes to show, that to the right person, the guitar will be more interesting and worthwhile.

Cali G, in what area did the quality of Tokai strats go down after 1983? Wood, electrics, hardware or fit and finish? Only difference I notice is maybe necks got a little chunkier and they became a little more consistent with less of a handmade feel.

They nearly went out of business around 1983.

Look at a 1984 Love Rock next to a 1981 Love Rock and you will see the difference.

The model specs had to be reorganized so you got less for the same money. I think Mark has an article about it on his site, but the main point is that 1983/84 is pretty much the cutoff for the golden age.

:roll: I don't think the quality at Tokai has suffered too much over the years, I think like most things there were probably stellar guitars and not so stellar guitars produced in each year and lots in between as well, even by Tokai, to think otherwise is not rational, just like the same cork can smell different to two different people.

oh sorry it is a ST50, U pickups, etc. Again, just trying to get a ballpark figure. I realize they aren't as rare and valuable as a Springy, which is fine... I just didn't know how to price it. Thanks.

Back