Ls 50 Reborn Old- Strange goings on

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilbsg

Reaction score
Hi, not posted for a while but back into the guitar again! A couple of questions i`m hoping someone could shed some light on.

The guitar has been upgraded with alpha 500k pots (Log for volume and linear for tone) 50`s spec wiring and orange drop capacitors. I still find the sound looses all clarity when the volume is rolled off and just ends up muddy. Could this be more to do with my pickups (std pups). This is playing through a quality valve amp too.

Also when the tone contols are on 10 the sound is very muddy (as if it were at 1) and when they are rolled back to approx 8 the sound is at its brightest. Wtf is going on there then? :-?

So you are experiencing the same poor tonal symptoms after you changed your pots and caps, that you were before- but you are using the same pups? That only leads to one conclusion really...

Okay, my pu`s are at fault for the muddiness then, (I`ve just bought an 80`s Dimarzio PAF for the neck so need one for the bridge now).

What do I need to do to solve the tone control problem? A basic explanation would be appreciated.... :roll:

It could be a few things, out of phase pickups, i.e. the + & - leads connected the wrong way, or the tone controls wired backwards, I would really advise you to take it in somewhere and have them check over your wiring.

The GOTO pickups in the LS50's are really nice BTW, they should sound just fine

Cheers John unfortunately I live up in Wick now so my nearest shop is 2hrs away in Inverness! I`ll read up a bit and try and sort it myself.

Not sure if my pu`s are the original Gotoh`s as they have nickel covers and I thought most LS50`s had exposed coils?

neilbsg said:
Cheers John unfortunately I live up in Wick now so my nearest shop is 2hrs away in Inverness! I`ll read up a bit and try and sort it myself.

Not sure if my pu`s are the original Gotoh`s as they have nickel covers and I thought most LS50`s had exposed coils?

Not in Co Durham then! If you are new to guitar electronics they can be a pain, and even if you're not they can cause to infuriating head scratching. I put a 4-way switch in a tele three weeks ago, and it's still not working!

A lot of techs to a collect and return by post, if you have a hard case that could be an option?? If you spend months tying to figure it out yourself than you'll end up hating the guitar!

Hi,
please check carefully again all the solderings and wirings. Be SURE that ALL is done in the best way. Use an internet image of wiring that you like,
50s-60s-Les-Paul-Wiring.jpg

or use this above. There is for sure a wiring problem, a little mistake that you did... don't worry.
Anyway, IMHO if you want really have CONTROL of tone LOG pots are far better... (like old school teached, see every fifties LP...)

:wink:

My god in Wick, nice road if you like scenery but the drive up to Inverness feels like 4 hours :)

Thanks a lot bluesyrat, on closer inspection it appears my mate who did the wiring did it the modern way and made a balls up of that too! Never mind, he did`nt charge me anything.....
I`ll get the soldering iron out and see what I can do.

Yes Inverness to wick is quite a drive, about 2hrs but its acrtually 4 hrs by train!

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.....

Just got a Laney L5T btw, very nice amp it is too...... :p

Hi just to add I bought a soldering iron, read up on 50`s wiring and its now all sorted and working as it should. Fitted an 80`s Dimarzio PAF in the bridge too and that sounds sweet. Thanks for the advice..... :p

Latest posts

Back