Pickup mod / upgrade on Goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tserotas

Reaction score
Hi to members,

I just registered; nice to be part of community.
Until now, before my wife really gets upset, I have:
1 Springy ST-60
2 Goldstars ST50 or ST60 (not sure)
1 SilverStar SS-38
1 LoveRock LS-60

The previous owner on one of the GoldStars had modified the pickups to Duncans SSL-1s. The guitar sounds much sharper, clearer, and aggressive.

On the Springy I don't plan to touch the Us. Guitar sounds nice as is.

On the other Goldstar however, I am asking for opinions.
The stock Vii pickups on it sound alright, the middle is nice and full; the neck is sluggish in tone, a little muddy; and the bridge is all treble, almost annoying.

I have a set of Dimarzio AREA 58, 61 combo noiseless pickups.
Has anyone tried these pickups on a light wood Tokai strat?
I had these pickups installed on a 1999 American Standard USA Fender Strat and they sounded very good. Not sure if I want to loose the originality of the Tokai however. Everything is original to 1984.
By the way, the USA Fender got sold. Not near as good as the Tokais

Hi tserotas and welcome.
U pickups are fine but VII's are unbearable in my opinion, annoyingly Shrill. I've changed VII's in two of my Goldstars and suggest you try the Duncans in there first which will be fuller sounding and focused.
Dimarzio's, Bareknuckle, Suhr etc will all make a difference. Keep the VII's safe in a box should you sell the Goldstar.

I'd agree with lifeline; I swapped out the VIIs in my '50 for some Kent Armstrongs - vintage alnico at neck and middle with a 'rails' humbucker at the bridge. Nice mix of vintage and modern tones with a lot more 'body' and none of the shrillness. Still I have the VII's safe (somewhere) in case i ever sell it (ain't happening!)

put the dimarzio area's in, they sound great in my st60, you won't regret it.
e's are safely stored in case i sale on, but don't think that'll happen any time soon.

Back