1984? Goldstar Information

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scimitar

Reaction score
After having nosed around this site for a couple of days I thought I should post some pictures of my Goldstar.

Having read quite a few posts etc. I think I have a 1984 Goldstar ST40 but there are a few things about it that don't seem to follow what I've seen stated. I bought the guitar secondhand in 1987 so 84 seems likely, it has ceramic magnet pickups so must be an ST40. However it appears to have a 2 piece body, I can quite clearly see the centre seam but no others and since the grain is visible I'm sure I would see them. Also there are no "divots" under the pickup mounting screws and the letter next to the colour code is a V which means earlier than 84? Saddles are marked "Final Prospec".
Anyway here are the pictures, I would be interested in your thoughts.

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

2 pieces were perfectly norma for the time. Actually a 2-piece Goldstar is a very good one. You'd only find single piece on ST80 and up (Springy).

However, the wiring is not original. The pots are. I am not sure about the pups.

cheers, rup

Thanks for your feedback, I would have guessed that it hadn't been messed with at all having bought it pretty "young" but its nice to have an experts opinion.

Thanks,
Dave

am i nuts :eek: , but you and others are saying blue/black wiring = silverstar, and black/white wiring for a goldstar (st40) in the other thread. well this one most definately has blue/black wiring on my screen, yet you say it looks totally original???

have i got my wires crossed :oops: cheers gabe, martin.

Aha!Well this is not an exact science but Goldie St 40s and Silverstars often have black and blue wires whilst goldie st50s have black and white wires.Gabe.

it looks like blue/black wires on ceramic pickups (st40) and black/white wires on
alnico pickups (st50 and above).
therefore in the other thread, it looks like someone has swapped the ceramic pickups for alnico pickups, but used the original wiring--simples.

Latest posts

Back