Help with identifying a Tokai Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trurl

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. Could someone please provide some information about this Tokai Goldstar Sound? Here are some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tcieslicki/TokaiGoldstarSound#

I just bought it and now I am waiting for the delivery (it should arrive on thursday). I didn't have the opportunity to try it first, I know very little about Tokais and have never owned a strat, but considering the reputation of Tokais, I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd be thankful if someone could tell me, what model it is, what is the quality of the pickups, bridge and the tuners and what is the general opinion about this model. The seller says it's dated ca. 1982-83, has alder body, one-piece maple neck and brazilian rosewood fretboard. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

What I can tell is it an ST40 looking at the tuners, low end Japanese model. Brazillian rosewood? no idea how they came to that conclusion. Most people change the pups as most think they are pretty thin sounding. Hope you didnt pay over the odds as there is plenty ST50's around. Having said all that, very nice looking guitar, I would have one if the price was right.

Colin

P.S its more like a 1984 guitar as springys were still being made in 83.

Great, thanks for the quick answer! I got it with a hardcase for ca. 500 EUR (or ca. 750 USD). I'm not sure if this is a good price in general, but comparing to other Tokais available at the moment where I live (Poland), it seemed ok. Any suggestions about reasonably priced replacement pickups?

trurl

I think you payed over the odds, but maybe thats what you have to pay in Poland for a Tokai. I cant help much with pups, I put a Bare knuckle Sinner pup in the bridge of my ST50, I love it.

Colin

Thanks. I'll check the bare knuckles.

There's a guy in Warsaw who imports old MIJ guitars and resells them. Right now he has one Goldstar (a 45) and two Silverstars (38s) and each of them costs well over 600 EUR (incl. a gigbag). From what I know, his guitars sell ok, so I reckoned 500 EUR was not that bad.

trurl

The guitar arrived today. It's in good condition and sounds great. In time I might upgrade the pickups or the tuners, but for now I'm a happy man.

the st40 is an excellent guitar, i have changed the pickups on mine, before my latest purchase (an st60), it was the only guitar i played in my collection, and i've got a g*bson les paul under the bed!
congratulations, i hope you get as much pleasure out of it as i have mine.
8) 8)

seymour duncan ssl-5 in the bridge, custom shop fat 50 in the middle and an old pickup from a mexican hotrod in the neck, guitar sounds great.
best way is to listen to all the demonstations of the individual pickups on youtube and decide what's best for you.
whatever you do don't lose the old pickups, in case you decide to resale the guitar sometime in the future, the new owner will deffinately want the guitar back to original. 8)

Agree with all the above...definitely an ST40 and more than likely an 84. As for the price I paid ?405 or about 465 euro for mine...mint...not a mark on it as long as yours is in excelent condition then I think you paid top money...as you say though...you have to compare it to others being sold in your country...

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i429/Marshallmk1/

Latest posts

Back