1980 LS-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
I am trying to stay away from a beautiful 1980 LS-80, or at least set a reasonable, not to exceed budget for it... I currently have a very early Burny RLC-65, and a mid/late 80's RLG-60. Both of them are hands-down the finest LP's I have ever owned, (same experience as everyone here- blows away all of the 70's-00's Gibbys I had). My question is to those of you with similar Burny's and Tokai's, is the extra $$ really justifiable. It is not local, so I cannot try it.
It's all in the hands and ears of the beholder I know, but your opinions are valued.
Thanks.

I have 2 higher speced newer Tokai's but i would really like an early LS-80, i think they are great guitars and probably the best value guitar in that period, they age well too... :wink: I will get one at some stage, hopefully sooner than later as they will continue to increase in price.

Mick

I have a 1980 LS80 and it is a fantastic guitar! I've owned a few slightly lower end Tokais, Burny's Grecos etc and the LS80 is definetely worth the extra $$.

If you can't try it make sure you ask a lot of questions, weight, fret-wear etc so there are no supprises if you buy it!

YES! YES! YES!
Hello 3puplpc,
I asked that very question 3 -4 weeks ago,I was looking to buy a vintage tokai les paul reborn,reborn old ,love rock?
Well i brought an 1980 love rock ls 80 from rinkya 10 days ago and it was delivered yesterday!
This guitar is quite fantastic,mind blowing,utterly beautiful in looks and the way it sounds,it nails a vintage 59 sound,it has more mojo than austin powers :lol:
It rings and sings,can be dark and woody,tons of tone and sustain,it has really shook my world, the way this peice of wood sounds and plays makes the hairs on my neck stand up, quality and build like this comes at a price,yes but it is outstanding bang for buck?

If you are looking for a supernatural experience,buy the ls80 vintage tokai,you will play and sound like a demon, :evil: you will be pagey,clapton,kossof, you will never eat,sleep,drink,worry about anything,but play that guitar.
I GOING NOW TO PLAY!
MOJO HOBO

Hey mojo hobo, could you please post a shopping tutorial for those of us who don't know how to buy vintage MIJ axes? :)

dudu said:
Hey mojo hobo, could you please post a shopping tutorial for those of us who don't know how to buy vintage MIJ axes? :)

I thought that was the purpose of this forum..... gather the information to make qualified decisions on your own. There's no standard formula other than:

Do your homework first. Know what you are looking for and the qualities of that guitar

Ask questions BEFORE you buy - particularly if it is a seller not recommended or know here

Constantly look at eBay postings to get an idea of what market prices are currently for that guitar.

Study the Fakai posts on the forum to help identify guitars of questionable origin.

Old LS-80s have "mojo" :D .They have a different feel than actual ones and a great attention to detail and aged beautifully.I recomend getting one if you can. Mine is growing on me everyday.

JohnA,
Yeah its ok!sorry for the mills and boon moment! :oops:

dudu as marcus said ,use this forum before you buy,ask questions,do detective work on the guitar?
Their are members on this forum with more experience and knowledge than me on buying from japan and japanese guitars,use them and you will not go wrong.
i will post some pictures of my mij guitars soon!when i figure out how too?
Now back to writing my fourth in my tear jerker triology,**** wish i could speel?SHE LOOKED INTO HIS DEEP POOLS OF HIS EYES,SHE FELT FAINT?......................

HERE SOME PICTURES OF MY TOKAI LS80!1980
08092009235.jpg

09092009258.jpg

09092009249.jpg

08092009242.jpg

08092009240.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Obviously it is an overwhelming yes, now it is just a matter of establishing my budget.
Beautiful top there mojo, congrats! Very similar to the one I have my eye on.

3pupLPC said:
I am trying to stay away from a beautiful 1980 LS-80, or at least set a reasonable, not to exceed budget for it... I currently have a very early Burny RLC-65, and a mid/late 80's RLG-60. Both of them are hands-down the finest LP's I have ever owned, (same experience as everyone here- blows away all of the 70's-00's Gibbys I had). My question is to those of you with similar Burny's and Tokai's, is the extra $$ really justifiable. It is not local, so I cannot try it.
It's all in the hands and ears of the beholder I know, but your opinions are valued.
Thanks.

I have pondered your questions & observations, and for some time.

I started out with the lower & middle range stuff, and then went head long into the higher end range.

What is really better, and is there really a ?better??

I am also a huge fan of the lower to middle price range Les Paul knock offs, and in particular the Burny RLG Super Grade Model plain tops.

?is the extra $$ really justifiable??

Who really knows; it?s all in an opinion

I do know that I have owned the below pictured mid 1980s Burny RLG-50 Super Grade Model for several years.
It has a very rare cashew type color top finish, and a cherry finished back.
It will do harmonics like what I hear the Reverend Willie G. doing on 'Pearly Gates', 24/7.
It is an amazing piece of infinitely blessed lumber, and it's at the bottom of the heap in price & in spec but that doesn't really matter.
If I absolutely had to sell every Les Paul I own, except for one, this RLG-50 would be the last one standing, and that is considering the top end Bacchus & Tokai stuff that I currently own 8)

1_2.jpg

1_1.jpg

MIJvintage said:
3pupLPC said:
Thanks.

I started out with the lower & middle range stuff, and then went head long into the higher end range.

I am also a huge fan of the lower to middle price range Les Paul knock offs, and in particular the Burny RLG Super Grade Model plain tops.

I do know that I have owned the below pictured mid 1980s Burny RLG-50 Super Grade Model for several years.
It will do harmonics like what I hear the Reverend Willie G. doing on 'Pearly Gates', 24/7.
It is an amazing piece of infinitely blessed lumber, and it's at the bottom of the heap in price & in spec but that doesn't really matter.
If I absolutely had to sell every Les Paul I own, except for one, this RLG-50 would be the last one standing, and that is considering the top end Bacchus & Tokai stuff that I currently own 8)

1_2.jpg

1_1.jpg

Thanks for the input Rich... I understand, as I can't think of anything I would improve on my RLG-60.

3pupLPC said:
MIJvintage said:
3pupLPC said:
Thanks.

1_2.jpg

1_1.jpg

Thanks for the input Rich... I understand, as I can't think of anything I would improve on my RLG-60.

+1!

My opinion! I own a few guitars, some are great, some are awesome. Compared to my 1972 Gibson LP Deluxe (a really superb guitar in astonishing condition) my ?76 Fernandes-BURNY FLG-70 and my ?75 Greco pre-Super Real EG-700 T will always win the race! These are lower mid-range guitars, but their playability and tone is top-end! My opinion! :wink:
11092009Photobucket-MOJOBURST-5.jpg

Still lovin' my '80 LS80. I flirted with the idea of selling recently, but couldn't bring myself to do it!

l_f1d0bee4197b3dd734227123dd38b7bc.jpg
[/img]

Back