Let the healing begin!

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

JJBennett
Guitar God

Post by JJBennett » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:57 am

I can't see how thats the sellers fault, EVEN IF they fail to mention it, if you are going to import something more than ?300 from over the world surely any normal person would take some time to look at import and customs duties? Or am i just being silly?

And i agree, the thread title should be changed.

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 am

Just to furthur mitigate Hisashi, not that he is in any way to blame, I hunted down the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0198730414

He clearly says in the austion:

2) Returning the guitar to Japan - in this case you would be given a full refund for the price you paid for the guitar itself (after the guitar arrives in Japan), but all other costs must be paid by you (the original shipping to your country, the shipping back to Japan, any customs/tax charges, etc).

Does this not suggest that there may be charges applied when the guitar is imported?

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 am

Since the original poster seems to be unwilling to change the title of the the thread, or apologize, I would suggest that Ned should do this.

Mike

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:16 am

AlanN wrote:
I'm pleased to have met enough fantastic and intelligent Americans to know that the stereotype of being stay-home xenophobes with no knowledge of the outside world is a false one, but you're doing nothing for the reputation of your countrymen...

Hmmm - that's nice. Never heard that one before. Doesn't say much for your countrymen if that's your stereotype of us.

joukov
Guitar God

Post by joukov » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:20 am

I think US Customs should step up and charge the tax from every package that comes to US.

Is it really up to receiver if he/she 'wants' to pay tax if the Customs doesn't charge anything? Doesn't that make everyone who doesn't pay a criminal?

BillyWizz
Guitar God

Post by BillyWizz » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:00 pm

stratman323 wrote:Since the original poster seems to be unwilling to change the title of the the thread, or apologize, I would suggest that Ned should do this.

Mike
+1

ChicoBluez
Sus4add11

Post by ChicoBluez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 pm

It is wonderful to read opinions. My choice to start this post was not without careful consideration. I am thrilled at the reactions of some, not surprised of others.

A simple declaration in Hisashi's auction or any auction is fair and good buisness practice for sellers and consumers.

Hisashi's reputation is only as good as Hisashi's transaction with myself.

I am thankful and grateful to be allowed an opinion on this site.

Chico 8)
Gibsons aren't real either!

http://www.myspace.com/thefabuloushouserockers

Tokai SG-75
Tokai LS-85VF Love Rock
Tokai LS-80 Love Rock

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 pm

ChicoBluez wrote:Hisashi's reputation is only as good as Hisashi's transaction with myself.

Chico 8)
I don't know Hisashi, but it seems that his reputation is rather better than yours, since you have failed to apologise for your error.

It beggars belief that you criticise a guitar dealer in Japan for failing to advise you about the taxation policies of the government of your own country! :o

bunbury
Guitar God

Post by bunbury » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:27 pm

ChicoBluez wrote:I am thrilled at the reactions of some, not surprised of others.
Which reactions thrilled you?

Big Willie Style
Guitar God

Post by Big Willie Style » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:27 pm

ChicoBluez wrote:It is wonderful to read opinions. My choice to start this post was not without careful consideration. I am thrilled at the reactions of some, not surprised of others.

A simple declaration in Hisashi's auction or any auction is fair and good buisness practice for sellers and consumers.

Hisashi's reputation is only as good as Hisashi's transaction with myself.

I am thankful and grateful to be allowed an opinion on this site.

Chico 8)
In all seriousness, is this the first time you have ever bought something from outside the country? If so, I can understand how you're surprised to get a duty bill. I still don't think it's fair to say it's Hisashi's fault, but I undeerstand. If it isn't the fist time, why did you think you wouldn't get taxed?

J.

ChicoBluez
Sus4add11

Post by ChicoBluez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm

It was my first time...and possibly last. I can't afford to pay for unseen costs. Who can! I don't mind being slammed on this thread. It's all a learning process for me.

Hisashi's attitude of "you can't touch me because I'm in Japan" is his emails to me resulted in my post. Also, if one novice buyer got a clue from my partially bad experience, then my self-appointed quest is completed.

Chico 8)

Tokai SG-75
Tokai LS-85VF Love Rock
Tokai LS-80 Love Rock

Mickdal
Guitar God

Post by Mickdal » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:49 pm

I am sure this has all been very trying for you ChicoBluez.

You have gone from being 'wonderful to read opinions', to, being 'slammed', oh dear.

You have been given some very very good advice old chap, but, still, you don't seem to understand.

This discussion really did start distastefully by you, and, it is in your subject line.
Nothing wrong with having a discussion thread posted, but, that subject line you have is, well, bloody obnoxious mate.

Mick

ChicoBluez
Sus4add11

Post by ChicoBluez » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:11 pm

The simple fact that this thread continues is a testament of opinions being exchanged and the right to express them. Thanks for yours.

Chico 8)

Tokai SG-75
Tokai LS-85VF Love Rock
Tokai LS-80 Love Rock

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:25 pm

ChicoBluez wrote:
Hisashi's attitude of "you can't touch me because I'm in Japan" is his emails to me resulted in my post.

Chico 8)
Kind of a cheap shot. In any occurance, 10% is the action itself. The remaining 90% is how you react to it. Do yourself a favor and shop at Guitar Center - otherwise like I said previously, chalk it up to experience. It's not the seller's fault - I've sold guitars abroad and never made mention of any duties or VAT responsibilites. But the buyers knew that they would or might be charged import fees. Is that MY fault too?

Granted, this was your first experience but you should have done your due dilegence BEFORE you pulled the trigger to see if in fact you'd be liable for any duties - a simple post asking that here on the forum would have given you the answer " Here in the states, sometimes you are charged, other times your not. Be prepared for either outcome".

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

Post by leadguitar_323 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Chico if you had bought a guitar from me and carried on like a cheap watch because YOU FAILED to do your homework, i would of told you to shove the f#@*&%$@ guitar up your A%#$. By failing to admit fault you are making a huge fool of yourself, and as far as this thread has worked ??? you've got to be kidding. You screwed up mate so get over yourself :o :evil:

Mick

PS Ned this bloke obviously doesn't get it, any chance of removing this thread. ??
so many guitars....so little money...