Tokai LS 150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny-English

Reaction score
Hi,
New to the site?can any one tell me more about the Tokai LS150 as they look fantastic are they as good as Gibson ?will be looking to buy one at the end of august ?do you get the sound for the money you pay!!!!
Cheers
Johnny English

Johnny-English said:
are they as good as Gibson ?

Yes

Johnny-English said:
do you get the sound for the money you pay!!!!

Yes

For ?775 , you wont get anything in that price range for this quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS150-Electric-Guitar-Flame-Wine-Red_W0QQitemZ280142240412QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItem

I just collected a LS150 the other day and I would stack it up against my Gibson Les Paul Standard wit ease. IMHO, the LS150 is better built from better materials and to a true spec 1959 Les Paul. You would have to shell out ?3k for a Gibson to match the LS150.

thanks for the feed back on the LS150 ....my minds mad up will be clicking on to buy one in the next few day........Can you tell me are they stamped LS150 how can you tell one from the other

CHEERS

Johnny-English said:
Can you tell me are they stamped LS150 how can you tell one from the other CHEERS

Ah, the old Tokai problem! It seems that the good people who made Tokais didn't want us poor customers to be able to tell one from the other :cry:

Hello Johnny- English, if you remove the front pickup there should be "ls 150 "written on the bottom of the cavity, there may be a piece of tape covering the number....cheers Mick

BillyWizz said:
Johnny-English said:
are they as good as Gibson ?

Yes

Johnny-English said:
do you get the sound for the money you pay!!!!

Yes

For ?775 , you wont get anything in that price range for this quality.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS150-Electric-Guitar-Flame-Wine-Red_W0QQitemZ280142240412QQihZ018QQcategoryZ112670QQcmdZViewItem

I just collected a LS150 the other day and I would stack it up against my Gibson Les Paul Standard wit ease. IMHO, the LS150 is better built from better materials and to a true spec 1959 Les Paul. You would have to shell out ?3k for a Gibson to match the LS150.

I thought the LS-150 was a '58 copy? I don't really care regardless. I bought one (VERY slightly used) last Xmas for about 900 USD and LOVE the feel. Heavy mother though. :lol:

leadguitar_323 said:
Hello Johnny- English, if you remove the front pickup there should be "ls 150 "written on the bottom of the cavity, there may be a piece of tape covering the number....cheers Mick

Mine dont have that. Mine has some weird symbol :eek:

It's fairly obvious on mine one that the back is one piece, its fitted with a flame cap, brass saddles and the electronics are all correct spec. But mine dont have any LS150 markings in the pickup cavity.

Just some bizzare spooky symbol

LS150.jpg

BillyWizz said:
Mine dont have that. Mine has some weird symbol

That symbol means the guitar was originally supplied with an extra hard case as a spare. Surely you received this? :eek:

:lol:

stratman323 said:
BillyWizz said:
Mine dont have that. Mine has some weird symbol

That symbol means the guitar was originally supplied with an extra hard case as a spare. Surely you received this? :eek:

:lol:

It has a matching symbol on the neck heel !

LS15001.jpg

Perhaps it is Japanese for " This fits here " :lol:[/img]

Check bridge cavity :wink: I got lucky on mine,I guess mine was the first one in Europe,before UK ordered LS1000.I guess it was a testing the waters one,I?m a pioneer sometimes :lol:

WR=Wine Red finish.....

You?re wrong Billy,it says "you have won a case,congrats!" :lol:

Here is what I found when I lifted bridge pickup...
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4253/imagen2585bo.jpg

Ok.

Bridge Pickup Pocket goes something like this

2A

2 or Z 33

WR

I take it 2A is a ref to the flame top

2 or z 33 ?????

WR Wine Red

A friends one dont even have any of that . Both his neck pockets are blank. He feels left out, he wants special symbols in his LS150 as well :lol:

Hiho!

I am a proud owner of a few LS150s from '81 to '85. Not a single one has a '150' stamp in the neck pup-cavity. What you should look for is the specs:

- one piece mahogany body
- matched 2-piece maple top (usually flames)
- pups should be DiMarzios
- wiring should be REAL metal shielded
- fret-edge binding
- 22mf orange cap (not too consisent)
- CTS pots
- Nitro (easy to check, sniff)

all of my 150s are less then 3.8kg too. My '82 is 3.4!

And when you plug them into a clean amp (like a Twin): whahooooo!!!!

Cheers. Rupert

rgrafend said:
Hiho!

I am a proud owner of a few LS150s from '81 to '85. Not a single one has a '150' stamp in the neck pup-cavity. What you should look for is the specs:

Cheers. Rupert

These all revolve around LS150's from 2005 until present. It is a curiosity that no two have the same markings inside them.

LS150s are great guitars.... but irritatingly hard to get hold of in the Uk!

To the point that I am seriously considering dropping Tokai from the brands I keep... great guitars but I just don't seem to be able to get the stock!

luis said:
You?re wrong Billy,it says "you have won a case,congrats!" :lol:

Here is what I found when I lifted bridge pickup...
http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/4253/imagen2585bo.jpg

Ho! Is it like gari-gari-kun?

untitled.jpg

That could be the worst picture i've ever taken but this is the neck cavity of my ls-150

"JB" "A" (with the funny strike thru) and an encircled "7" below both.

Nuthin else

Cheers
tez

tezza-j said:
That could be the worst picture i've ever taken but this is the neck cavity of my ls-150

"JB" "A" (with the funny strike thru) and an encircled "7" below both.

Nuthin else

Cheers
tez

Looks like me and you have the symbols LOL ! . Mine looks like a 1 encircled, whats your Bridge cavity look like ?

untitled.jpg

LS15001.jpg

Back