Anyone ID these pickups from my ST55?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianclark

Reaction score
I'm coming to the conclusion that I should sell my 1985 Goldstar Sound. It's a lovely guitar, one of the best-sounding Strats I've heard, but I just don't play it... my Warmoth/Fender mongrel just seems so much more versatile because of the compound fretboard.

However, I'm not sure whether to Ebay it with its Kinman pickups, in the hope of pushing the bids up, or whether to sell the Kinmans separately and reinstall the pickups that came with the Tokai.

The thing is, I'm not sure exactly what the original pickups are. Anyone got any ideas?

tokaipickup.jpg

adrian

Aha, thanks. I had an idea they couldn't be the originals, seeing as they don't match any of the normal descriptions.

Maybe I'll Ebay it with the Kinmans, given that I don't have the original pickups. At least I can then make a feature of them, rather than sheepishly having to admit to "three unidentified cheapo pickups" :wink:

adrian

Do you want to tell us a bit about the guitar, and post a few pics? Maple or rosewood board? What colour?

Mike

stratman323 said:
Do you want to tell us a bit about the guitar, and post a few pics? Maple or rosewood board? What colour?

I'll be back with pictures and a proper description when I list it on Ebay, but to give you a rough idea...

It's a left-handed 1985 ST55, maple fretboard and metallic red. No serial number (I guess the neckplate was replaced at some point) but the date/colour codes on the neck and body both agree. It's quite "well-worn" with some chips to the body paintwork and some quite ugly damage to the lower edge of the fretboard, but it sounds lovely.

I came to the reluctant conclusion I don't really need two Kinman-equipped maple-board Strats :roll:

adrian

Back