Tokai NES 90 TO-Looking for info

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchunky

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site. Very informative! I have searched the Tokai Registry too. Very little info on this guitar I can find. My Tokai NES 90 TO was given to me a payment on a debt. I like it alot, just not my style axe. Is there anyone that can tell me more info and what it may be worth? The color and finish are amazing!
It has the tokai sticker inside that has no serial number or writing on it. It is in excellent condition! I don't think it is older than 1985. Some info I found may suggest a jazz version. Any info or price ranges are appreciated. :)

John

There's was one selling on e-bay . by a seller named gore42
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270253966729

Looks like another Fake, Is it in Canada?? Back also looks like sycamore.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11240 This one has the same headstock logo, A Canadian {korean made} Fake.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11246 Please read.

Mick

I'm no expert but the f-hole sticker looks like it came from an epiphone, of course it's just a piece of paper and easily forged. It wuld be cool if Tokai did come out with a model like this though, who can afford a Gretsch ??? Not I !!!

Like Mick said...it's Korean made for the Canadian Market and is more than likely a legit one.
It definitely wasn't made by Dillion's Korean factory due to the serial no.
Dillion made "Fakai's" all have a serial with a "D" in it..denoting the Dillion factory.

Does anyone know how many years worth of these fakai's are around give or take and what models & numbers were produced give or take ??? I'm almost ashamed that there probably a Canadian behind this. What a greedy *******.

brokentoes said:
Does anyone know how many years worth of these fakai's are around give or take and what models & numbers were produced give or take ??? I'm almost ashamed that there probably a Canadian behind this. What a greedy *******.
Oh we know for certain exactly who was responsible for it and sadly,yes,he's Canadian.
We're not 100% of the numbers that were produced but so far they've been pretty easy to spot...Tokai logo is usually the wrong style of script and they are usually not a faithful reproduction of the model that they are representing.
To date I've seen 335 styles,LP Customs,and Gretsch styled Fakes.
In fact...the Dillion made 335 styled guitars look identical to the guitars in the dillion catalogue.
They're a reasonably well made guitar but they're NOT a Tokai.

Yes it was a Canadian who instigated it unfortunately. The only models i have seen are LP's 335's and the Gretch, there could be more, if there is i'm sure someone will chime in and let you know. You could also do a search as there are quite a few threads on these guitars.

Mick

brokentoes said:
It wuld be cool if Tokai did come out with a model like this though, who can afford a Gretsch ??? Not I !!!

I reckon it would even cooler if Tokai came out with a Gibson 330 style guitar, in fact I'm surprised they never did.

Mike

You reckon correctly stratman, maybe it's time to petition Tokai for some new imitation models. They already do a fine job with the ones they've tried. It couldn't hurt, I'd love to play there version of a Gibby 330. Rock On.

Well if you do write to them, I'm not sure that "imitation" is the word to use! They might prefer "tribute" or something similar. :lol:

Mike, Tokai make certain models and have concentrated on those only. I asked some years ago for a L5- archtop style because a person I highly appreciated at that time asked it to me, but I was told not possible and I understood it. It?s a shame because I think they have the skills but it?s their business and I respect that kind of decission.

stratman323 said:
Well if you do write to them, I'm not sure that "imitation" is the word to use! They might prefer "tribute" or something similar. :lol:
Replica is the term that Tokai uses.

Thanx Ozeshin, One never knows exactly the right terms to use these days to make sure no one is offended. I quite like the word REPLICA. Will use from now on for these beautiful works of art.

Latest posts

Back