SG-75 Review

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
I'll start by letting you know my SG-75 arrived yesterday. However I'm stuck in San Jose until this afternoon (actually typing this from the airport) so I'll get to play her tonight. Full report next week.

I've got to play her a little, been spending time getting ready for a gig tonight and I don't want to play a new guitar at the gig (I will take the SG as backup though).

The Tokai is light years better than the Gibby Faded. Really is no comparison between the two.

I'm going to play it again this afternoon in Eb to get it ready for the gig. Plan on playing it exclusivly next week as it will be my #1 going forward.

I've got gas for one of these Ned. I'm caught between buying a brand new 75 for ?450 or a 2nd hand SG standard for in excess of ?600. How did it go? I know the Tokai will be better than the standard, but I need some convincing by a real owner.

(btw, what's the difference between the 60 and the 75?)

Hi!
I am a really owner! I got two SG75?s, and they are both better than my SG Standard. Couple of days ago I had a customer here with a 61 RI. That was a very good SG. In about same level are the SG75. Very good sustain for an SG, and a way more "woody" tone than a SG Special or Standard.

I really like my black ?75!

"ACY"

I haven't played a Standard only the faded.

I'm loving my SG-75. Takes a little getting used to as I transition from the Wolfie but it plays really nice. Sounds great too.

Played the SG on Saturday night and got great compliments from the band. Normally I play a Wolfgang Special, the SG just seemed to clear up my tone (ie less mud) without really impacting the distortion at all. I didn't make any changes to my rig just swapped the guitar.

The neck on the SG is really junky but I don't really notice it until I switch back to the Wolfie or my EBMM Axis SS. I really like the string spacing and find it's much easier to play open chords - and rock the AC/DC!!!!

Someone just posted some pics from Saturday in the comments section on our myspace page -

http://www.myspace.com/romanholidayband

I would have had a look. But im not registering an My Space. My Inbox is already over stuffed with Spam!

Unfortunately not, you have to be a Myspace member to look at the pictures of another user. Strangely that's not the case with uploaded videos or at least favorite videos from others that you have added/bookmarked to your profile, these can be seen by unregistered visitors. Here's an example:

http://www.myspace.com/bluezzbastardzz

By the way, there's no additional spam when registering there, I have two Myspace accounts for both bands, and didn't notice an increase of spam mails at my main email account.

@Ned: friend request sent... :wink:

Like he said. The pictures are in the comments section. If you actually went there you'd see them. :roll:

Looks like you've got a great set up Ned. You play the same type of music as my friends and I. Who are all the gorgeous women who're running after you?!
So. The SG is success. I'd still like to see some close ups though. Nice one.

If I can get a moment of free time the plan is a proper review with close ups and a comparison to the faded.

Deadman - where is Oxforshire? I'll probably be in Knaresborough (York) in January.

Ned, you mean chunky neck, not junky neck??
A phat mahogany neck is part of the sound!!

I live about 200 miles south of Knaresborough Ned (and 60 miles west of London). A place called RAF Brize Norton. You'll like York, there are some great little haunts there. Loads of pubs, loads of history. I love it. Is it business or pleasure?

Back