Serial number search

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperSwede

Reaction score
Is there any registry were I can search for a serial number to find out all details about it and approx. how much it is worth?

It is a Goldstar Sound strat with serial number 14900

The late Springy's and the 80's Goldstars had serial numbers corresponding to approximately what model year it was supposed to be a replica of. My 1982 Springy also has a 5 digit serial number starting with 1. I only know it's an '82 Springy because I bought it from the original owner. You cannot date a Fender replica using the serial number I'm afraid.

Mike

Thank you for the answers, hm. I don't own this instrument, yet. So I don't have any pics of it.

Anyone has any idea how much it could be worth in nice shape?

SuperSwede said:
Thank you for the answers, hm. I don't own this instrument, yet. So I don't have any pics of it.

Anyone has any idea how much it could be worth in nice shape?

Check with the seller if it has Kluson type tuners (they should be stamped Deluxe) and "Final Prospec" stamped bridge saddles. If it has it's probably a TST-50 Goldstar (the most common Goldstar in Sweden) and should be worth something like 4000-5500 SEK in Sweden (if that's where you are located) depending on condition. Does the original tweed case come with the guitar?

Try to get some pictures of the guitar and post them here.

Mike

javelin70 said:
Check with the seller if it has Kluson type tuners (they should be stamped Deluxe) and "Final Prospec" stamped bridge saddles. If it has it's probably a TST-50 Goldstar (the most common Goldstar in Sweden) and should be worth something like 4000-5500 SEK in Sweden (if that's where you are located) depending on condition. Does the original tweed case come with the guitar?

Try to get some pictures of the guitar and post them here.

Mike

I've send some questions over to the dealer. The price is 6900 SEK and seems to be a bit over the top for this specific guitar?
I have a fender standard (mex) strat now. How do they compare in quality?

SuperSwede said:
I've send some questions over to the dealer. The price is 6900 SEK and seems to be a bit over the top for this specific guitar?
I have a fender standard (mex) strat now. How do they compare in quality?

It seems a bit high but shops generally set the prices higher than what you can get one for if you buy from a private person. If it's an 80's TST-50 Goldstar it's a lot better than a mex standard. The Goldstars are very nice replicas of 50's and 60's strats.

Here are a few pictures of my early 80's Goldstar put together from 2 different guitars, the body is a TST-50 '64 replica and the neck is a TST-60 or 80 '54 v-neck replica. I've changed the pickguard to a 50's 8 screw type:

st50_5.jpg

st50_2.jpg

st50_4.jpg

The neck/mid pickups are stock and the bridge pickup is a very good hotrail copy.

Mike

Thats a real nice looking guitar. I believe that the model i looked at has the exakt same color as yours. Real classy. How does your guitar compare to an fender american series strat?

Btw: How do I know if its a TST-50?

SuperSwede said:
Thats a real nice looking guitar. I believe that the model i looked at has the exakt same color as yours. Real classy. How does your guitar compare to an fender american series strat?

Btw: How do I know if its a TST-50?

The Tokai strats are more like the Fender '57 and '62 reissues.
The Goldstars have a 7,25" fingerboard radius like the old 50's and 60's strats. The american series has a slightly flatter 9,5" radius and also a different tremolo and modern tuners (not Kluson type).

If the Goldstar has the Kluson type tuners (stamped Deluxe) and the "Final Prospec" bridge saddles it's at least a TST-50. To determine if it's a better model I think we need more information. The pickups are different on the different models and there is a stamp at the bottom of them which might help identifying the model.

I guess the one you are looking at has a rosewood fingerboard? It's easier to identify the maplenecks since the TST-50 has a rounded '58 U-shaped neck whereas the TST-60 and 80 have a '54 V-shaped neck. The TST-80 also has DiMarzio VS-1 pickups.

Mike

SuperSwede said:
It actually has a maple neck. And if I'm not misstaken i believe it has vintage tuners aswell.

Ok, if it doesn't have a v-shaped neck it probably is a TST-50. The mapleneck TST-50 Goldstars normally have the butterfly string tree and the TST-60/80's the round string tree as on my red Goldstar. That could of course have been changed over the years.

Mike

Latest posts

Back