Tokai FS70

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth

Reaction score
I bought a copy of a gibson es 175 on ebay. It is a great looking guitar and sounds nice and mellow, I think it is an FS70. It has made in Korea stamped on the headstock but no serial number. Does this mean it's a fake and not made by Tokai?
Also, if I can get some idea regarding setting it up, I need some help re improving the intonation. It has a moveable (non fixed) bridge and I don't think its in the right place, any advice on what I can do to rectify this will be gratefully received. I have read about scale length etc and need the proper measurement from the nut to the bridge, at least I think I do. Any help is appreciated.
Kenneth
UK :)

kenneth said:
I think it is an FS70. It has made in Korea stamped on the headstock but no serial number. Does this mean it's a fake and not made by Tokai?
It's an FA70, the only archtop that Tokai builds, and it's made in Korea, so it doesn't have a serial number stamped into the headstock like the MIJ models. Does it have a sticker inside the body perhaps?

It has a moveable (non fixed) bridge and I don't think its in the right place, any advice on what I can do to rectify this will be gratefully received. I have read about scale length etc and need the proper measurement from the nut to the bridge, at least I think I do. Any help is appreciated.
Like any archtop, the wooden bridge isn't fixed and only held in place by the string tension. To find the right position you can use your ears when adjusting the proper string length, i.e. compare the flageolet above the 12th fret with the fretted note and move the bridge up or down depending if the fretted note is too high (then down towards the tailpiece) or too low. You can also use an electronic tuner to find out the difference between these two notes.

Thank you Hans,
I'm glad it's a Tokai, but the guitar sounds good whoever made it. for the price the build quality is excellent.
I have taken your advice and my intonation problem is solved, why didn't I think of that myself? I thought it to be much more technical. The guitar now sounds perfectly in tune all along the neck. I love it!
Thanks for your help
Kenneth :lol:

Back