Tokai body thickness

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I see rumors all over the internet, that the tokais aren't as thick as gibsons, when it comes to the body... well this really doesn't matter because I bought a tokai, not a gibson... but just to try and set the record straight, my ls-145s is as thick as the historics I've tried. So what's up with these reports I see on places like harmony central that tokais are thinner (body wise) than gibsons...????

I would say,stop being obsessed with Gibson and just play your Tokai.

So you always carry a ruler and measure the thickness of the guitars you try out?Otherwise,how would you know your Tokai is as thick as the Historics Gibson?And why would you care?

People mention that Tokais are thinner,because Tokais according to their experience are thinner,no conspiracies there.Unless you say they are all lying and working for the evil satanic Gibson or something.

WOW LOL, would you calm down... no one is obsessed here, it was a simple curiosity question...

looks like my post might be ofensive, someone better erase it.

:eek:

lighten up will you

take a good read at your first reply... maybe it is you who needs to lighten up about gibson, hey?

By the way if you have nothing useful to contribute to the original topic, maybe you should step off... :wink:

I think some people here need to lighten up about Gibson.Why care so much?

Why care so much? Hmmm... could it be that this forum is built around a guitar make that prides itself in accurate depictions of a few famous (and famously overpriced) US brands like Gibson?

Half of the fun is the comparison to see just how accurate Tokai got to the inspiration. Some people are into those comparisons more than others.

You have the choice of reading and/or responding to the posts. As all of our moms said to us all at one time "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything".

In short, don't be a dick to your fellow forum members - some of these guys have been around a lot longer than you have and have been instrumental in providing hard to find technical information on these wonderful guitars - which is why we're here, right?

I think lately lots of gibson users have been registring this forum... and they tend to want to interpret everything that is said as an attack to the brand they love so much...

mr sgrock, hasn't understood yet, that this is not the case... I'm not attacking anything, I was simply trying to figure out a curiosity, which happened to involve a comparison between guitars...

Just like tokai there are some gibsons I like, some I don't...

I don't hang out in gibson forums, and respond to every statement as if it was a personal attack however, you do need to lighten up...

Telling someone to shut up or leave is not very mature.I dont care for most Gibsons so you cant use that argument against me.As far as I know I am the only guy from Gibson forums who joined the last few weeks so where you get your conspiracy theory that 'many' registered here?

You said that your Tokai was as thick as a Historic Gibson and that everyone who posted on forums that the Tokais were thinner were basically lying.I asked if you carry a ruler with you everywhere,which is the only way you could know.You didnt answer that but started saying I need to lighten up.How about you answering a simple question instead.

It is you guys who need to lighten up and be less touchy when a Gibson owner says something.It is like,you can say whatever you want about the guitar brand others play,but they cant say anything back.And when they do,you must shut up or leave.

You said that your Tokai was as thick as a Historic Gibson and that everyone who posted on forums that the Tokais were thinner were basically lying

I said that...? WOW isn't this amusing...

yes I always take a ruler and my tokai with me, never know when I might find a gibson... :wink:

pointless, and like I said, if you have nothing to contribute to the topic, step off, it's not childish, it's wise...

oh and by the way I seriously doubt of your good intentions in this forum, every single word I read from you in this forum, comes with a rather narrow minded thinking... please I would very much like you to contribute to the question I made... everything else you say is absolutly irrelevant, because if you want, or feel the need to have arguments, there are chats and messenger for the purpose... use the forum for tokai issues

Are you intentionally missing my point or are you for real with this patronizing of yours?

Stop talking about me personally and my intentions,which is just childish of you.That is not the way adults do things.

I would say that if were talking about the Les Paul models that there is an optical illusion going on which is propogating this rumor. Tokai's have a very thin binding-modeled after the original Les Pauls.However, even on my LS-320 it is a tad bit thinner than even a historic les paul. Many of today's standard run Gibson Les Paul's have a slightly thicker binding giving the illusion that they are thicker. I don't believe they are, it's just a small difference in binding.

Thanks buckwild, interstingly enough I never though the binding could be the cause of this "ilusion" I just compared the overall thickness... but it does make perfect sense...

Hi guys!
Who wanted to know?

Tokai LS85F, body thickness 50mm
Gibson Les Paul Standard (1990): 52mm

Sustain G-String at 12th fret:

Tokai: about 14 seconds till the tone is fading (both of my LS85F?s) - and everywhere wonderful steadily sustain! Wow!!!!!!!! (and sustain means power in the tone!)
Gibson LP: about "8" seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (very very disappointing)

Yes, I wanted to compare my Tokais to the Gibson, and I was very very impressed about the top quality of that Tokais! And they are not even the top of the line!!!!!!!!!!

But that should not start a G/T discussion! Just facts!
Nice day: "ACY"

This whole Gibson VS. Tokai discussion is boring. Obviously they are both great guitar companies. Why does your Gibson sustain for only 8 seconds compared to your Tokai at 14 seconds? Honestly who really cares? Maybe your Tokai is set up better maybe it's pickups are better-maybe subconsciously you used a better fretting technique with your Tokai. I have the top of the line Tokai and Gibson Les Pauls and both are amazing guitars. The Tokai has it positive points but so does the Gibson. I'm talking about a LS-320 vs. a Historic Custom Shop Gibson. Let me tell you Tokai's have their fair share of flaws. The LS-320 is an amazing instrument but half the time you get one with ****** nut work and bad pots. I'm not trying to bash Tokai's here-I love them but I just want to point out that no guitar manufacture has 100% quality control.

My point is can we move on from these juvenile comparisons? Please! This type of discussion is something that should stay on harmonycentral.com not the tokai forum. I have grown to love this forum because it steers clear of these stupid questions and comparisons and tends to really focus on understanding the great Tokai guitar company.

Don?t wish to perpetuate this discussion but I can?t believe the bad blood displayed here and on other forums. I?ve owned dozens of guitars by many manufacturers made in the US, Japan, UK, Taiwan and Korea and as far as I?m concerned brand loyalty only extends to the next purchase.

Having said that my small collection currently contains three Tokais and I am very happy with them for what they offer. I also admit that I haven?t owned a Gibson but I?ve played many of them. Fact is I?ve always been more of a Strat player and while I could justify ?500 to have a LP in my collection I would prefer to spend my ?1200-?1500 on a guitar I would play more - like a second hand Tyler say.

Some say Gibson are better than Tokai and vice versa. The reason these comparisons crop up is that people have chosen to buy one or the other (or both) LP types and must have their own reasons for their choice. I have to admit that there is a little bit of a ?cheap? thrill in believing that your ?cheap Japanese copy? is as good or better than the ?real thing?. But which is better? That depends on your criteria. Build quality, materials, sound, vintage accuracy, value for money, cachet?

Any company can build a lemon - as we?ve seen recently - so its possible for a given Tokai to be ?better? than a Gibson and vice versa. All I know is that the three Tokais I have have no issues. They are well built solid instruments.

My Love Rock LS65 cost ?500 - a comparable price here in the UK to a LP Special faded. For that I got the spec of a LP Standard including solid 2 piece maple plain top.

My Love Rock LS150 comes with one piece mahogany body; one piece deep tenon neck; solid AA/AAA flame maple top; nitro finish; lightweight ally tailpiece; Switchcraft jack; CTS pots; Sprague condensors; Western Electric wiring etc. All for ?650 - the price here of a LP studio. What would I have to pay for a similarly spec?d Gibson?

Who builds the ?best? LP. I?ll leave that to the real aficionados to decide whether a Gibson Historic is better than a LS380 or whatever. There are members here with both and I?m sure they?re very happy with them.

My argument is that Tokais provide good value for money. Would I prefer it if my Tokai copies were the real thing? If they were of the same quality - of course I would. But the Tokais allow me to have a wider range of guitars for the expenditure I could justify. I can afford to buy the originals but I?m just a weekend hobby player and my wife and I have other priorities for the money.

Having said that my neighbour?s 18 year old Slash fan won?t even look at my Tokais because they?re not Gibsons - so no cachet there.

As for SGRocks - the Tokai Forum members have always come across to me as a very helpful level headed bunch. Enthusiasts yes - but definitely not blinkered. As I said many are just LP fanatics and are prepared to pay for the best - from whatever manufacturer.

Don?t get hung up on blind loyalty to a particular brand. Buy the guitar that fits your needs - whether its the price, quality or the name that gives you a warm feeling inside. But having made your decision don?t slag others off for making a different one. After all - how can you hate a guitar?

it's like I said, this topic was never meant to be for comparisons, it was rather about me satisfying a curiosity I had about tokais... unfortunetly the topic had to be pushed to another direction.

And I ended up only having two real answers out of two pages, to the question I asked, they came from buckwild and ACY, so thanks both of you for satisfying my curiosity, and that's the end of it, no need to perpetuate this nonsense that has been going around this forum.

This will make me very aware of what I write here in the future though... which is kind of sad.

Hi Bruno!

"This will make me very aware of what I write here in the future though... which is kind of sad."

- That?s the wrong way! Write what ever you think, but there will always be some guys, who do not like what you write! "So what"?

That?s a forum, there will be questions that been asked a hundred times, simple questions, wrong answers, right and good answers, stupid discussions, good discussions.................................! That makes a forum "alive"!

nice day to everybody: "ACY"

Back