Korean made Tokai Love Rock guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burbank66

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a high quality Les Paul copy w/o the Gibson price tag. While I am certain that the subject of Korean made Tokai Love Rock models has been beaten to death on this forum site, can I ask members for their opinion on the guitar itself?

I see these Korean made Tokai models on eBay, and for $500.00 I will find the money if the quality is there.

If not the Korean made Tokai, should I consider a Burny or a Greco?

Finally, does the Korean model come with a real flame maple cap or it is just a photo-flame? How would you describe the neck radius for the Korean Love Rock?

Thanks in advance for any advice or criticism you may offer

I had a Korean made 2001 Limited Edition Love Rock (Korean made built to Japanese specs) and it was a fantastic guitar. Hands down a better guitar than any Epiphone and arguably on the same level as the standard line Japanese Les Pauls.

Neck radius was close to accurate to the 59 Les Paul it was modeled after. Beefy but comfortable. I think the top was a flamey sycamore - from recollection, it wasn't maple. Rather heavy too - over 9 lbs. Fabulous pickups.

The only reason I got rid of it was to trade up to a brand new 2003 Tokai Japan goldtop with P90's - otherwise, I'd still have it.

On the debate of Korean vs. Japanese, my thought is that if you can save up a bit more, go with the Japanese products because the prices on all of them (Tokai, Burny, Greco, and Orville alike) are continuing to climb. You'll be happier in the long run - but if you are on the quest for tone and you find a guitar that you love, regardless of where it is made your ears and hands will let you know if it's a keeper.

Burbank66 said:
Finally, does the Korean model come with a real flame maple cap or it is just a photo-flame?
There is no photo-flame in the current lineup of Korean Tokais, only the ALS50Q has a quilted gravure print top which is made from wood and treated under pressure to look like real quilted maple. That also causes all tops of this model to look alike, and the "graining" doesn't move as much as a real quilted maple top. The other Korean Love Rocks usually have a flamed sycamore veneer.

Like Marcus wrote, the difference to the mid-priced MIJ series LS75-90 isn't that big if you order them directly in Japan, so if you're looking for a high quality Les Paul copy, it's the better way.

IMHO Tokai will give a far better guitar for the same money than Gibson.

Take a price of a Gibbo and you can bet about 40% of that is because it has Gibson written on the headstock!!

I have a Epi LP Std and a Tokai ALS56 here (Korean) and the Tokai is a far superior guitar. The body is a better quality, the pickups are nicer, the setup is more consistant as is the build quality and the tone is richer and far higher "quality" than the Epi

Regarding the Jap thing.

A lot of people have said that the Jap guitars are far better. I think this is mainly because they are not comparing like for like. Sure, the more you spend withina giving range (ie all Tokais) you will get a better guitar, but I as far as value for money goes Korean Love Rocks are superb.

I think the main difference between Jap and Korean guitars as a whole is that I believe the quality control is more consistant on Jap models.

A lot of people have said that the Jap guitars are far better. I think this is mainly because they are not comparing like for like. Sure, the more you spend withina giving range (ie all Tokais) you will get a better guitar, but I as far as value for money goes Korean Love Rocks are superb.

That's exactly my thoughts - if you look Tokai as a single product line (not MIK or MIJ) then the picture makes more sense. The entry to mid range models happen to be MIK the mid to high are MIJ. Although some differences could be attributed to build I think the majority simply reflect where the models sit within the range (there no like for like between factories). So for 399 you get a 399 guitar or for 600 you get a 600 guitar both are great buys for the money.

So naturally the MIJ will be a better guitar because it has a higher spec - which of course you are paying for.

I guess it's roughly equivalent to MIM or MIA Fenders

Not in the market for a black custom copy are you? Vintage 1984, gold hardware, rosewood fretboard and cream edge beading.

Great guitar, just overhauled.

??

Hi all, I'm new to the registry but thought I'd throw my views in on the MIK vs MIJ topic. I have an immaculate MIK Gold Top which I bought off ebay a few months back for sub ?250! In the past I have owned an Epi LP and a Gibbo LP. IMHO the Tokai is way superior to the Epi which it replaced. Okay, I admit the full fat USA Gibbo was the better guitar in every respect, but was it really worth that much of a ???s diff? I'm not sure it was.

I went for the MIK as I wanted a good working guitar that I could gig without the paranoia of taking your life savings with you (Gibbo). The MIK meets my needs perfectly, great playing, great sounding and from a distance in a dark pub/club who would know? A real quality guitar and if you can get one for what I paid you will be very happy. I have since added to my Tokai collection with a 1983/4 Silver Star - another fantastic guitar for bargain money - I do like my bargains! :wink:

I just got a MIK NALS 45 a few months ago and its unbelievable! I agree with some of the earlier posts, let your ears and fingers do your convincin'! Tokai just makes great products period. I'll never have the need to buy a Gibson or Epi. I'm as happy as hell with my MIK. It sounds killer, looks beautiful and feels like its part of me. Do I care where it was made? What do you think? Tokais kick *** over all comers regardless of their birthplace!
Rock and Roll...[/img]

I recently got a MIK Firebird. I took it to some gigs, along with a great old Gib LP, a very nice Vintage Reissue Fender Strat, and a current Gib USA V. I played the 'bird more than anything else. Not just because it was new, but because it was an "in between" model, that worked well for alot of material.
Had it's quality not been comparable, I would've played it for a few songs for looks, and for a change, but gone back to my staples.

That said, the photos I see regularly of the MIK LPs the tuners are often mounted slightly off from each other (though they are right on my 'Bird), and the finishes are poly (if that bothers you, it's actually pretty durable, and they put alot of coats on). Also, there is a very small "shallow" on the face of my FB-53, likely over sanding prior to paint. There was also is a small nick on the back of the neck under the paint. However, the inside of the electronics compartment is nicely shielded.

I suspect the LPs are of the same or better quality overall. If you are going to get out the microscope, and compare to something costing 4x, you will be dissappointed. If you want a nice, completely playable guitar for a reasonable price, yes I would much rather have this than an Epi, or even a few USA Gibs I've seen. Some people say they have to replace the PU selector switch, but them I've had those switches fail on Gibs as well...

I've played the MIJ LPs, and they were ALL fantastic. Whatever your wallet allows...

Latest posts

Back