Resonance ringing noises on my Tokai help!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math2014

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have noticed that while playing some single note riffs on A,D strings, i get a metalic ringing sound coming out of the amp. Having eliminated the amp possibility i focused on the guitar.

Initially i thought some bad fret, but this happens at any position on the fret board using the A,D strings so the frets dont play a role here. Upon further investigation i have noticed that if i mute the unplayed GBE strings then i got no ringing sounds at all.

Now this ringing noise is like a metalic ringing sound after the normal sound of the note played.

This issue is more pronounced when using the bridge pickup. Neck relief is spot on, as well as intonation and action as far as i can tell.

Any ideas?

It is a Tokai LP LS85Q.

Are your pickups covered?

I've seen this happen (once) when the cover of the pickup is "in tune" with the note being played - the covers then vibrate and cause the echo.

You can rule this out by covering the pickups with a bit of masking tape to suppress the vibration.

It could be that the covers are just a bit loose.

bruceboomstick said:
check your sadles as well - just make sure they're tight

I ve just removed my strings. I checked the bridge without strings on, and the saddles have a tiny amount of play. I dont know if that is normal or not.

With the strings off there should be play in the saddles - no tension holding them in place. If the resonance is being caused by someting vibrating then the type of movement will be almost imperceptable (otherwise it would be more of a rattle).

It's worth checking everything the strings pass over, like saddles, but my main suspicion is the pickup covers - based on past experiences anyway. I have known my strat to get a strange sound that came from the saddles rattling against the base plate - although that was audiable with guitar unplugged.

Also have you changed string guage?

It might also be worth giving the strings a good stretching once they're back on - new strings take a little time to improve tonally as well as tuning stability.

Check the tailpiece,sometimes it's metallic sound unplugged but not plugged.After some playing that buzz dissapear.....

Well i checked the nut it looks ok.
I checked the bridge and saddles they look ok to me ( i dont know if they are ok though)
I also checked the tailpiece removed it etc etc.

I played around with tailpiece height in order to change string tension

As far as the pickup covers co i ll try that.

Also i noticed that the tone from my high E string on the first 4-5 frets is a bit harsh a bit metalic as well.

It shouldnt be bad strings because i have restringed twice since last week.

This thing is driving mad, i wish i could post a clip to show you

math2014 said:
Well i checked the nut it looks ok.

There is a slim possibility it could be one of your tuning machines. I have known unwanted rattels to come in from them, but that is usually an actual rattle rather than a harmonic overtone.

math2014 said:
As far as the pickup covers co i ll try that.

That is a good suggestion.

Also, if it truly is a harmonic overtone, NOT a buzz or rattle I would suggest adjusting pickup height (as I already mentioned to you) I do remmeber someone telling me once that raising pickups too high can result in unwanted harmonics being picked up.

I have never personally encountered this though!

Also, if it truly is a harmonic overtone, NOT a buzz or rattle I would suggest adjusting pickup height (as I already mentioned to you) I do remmeber someone telling me once that raising pickups too high can result in unwanted harmonics being picked up.

If the strings are too close the the p/ups the magnetic field can disrupt the way the string occilates creating a wierd harmonic. I've only read about this and ever seen it.

I have tried messing with PU height, but i couldnt get to the best of my knowledge anything significant. I dont know though how high/low should the PU pole be from the string. Currently its about at 3mm

Is it possible that its simply me not muting properly?

By the way i have noticed that while tuning and acoustically my wound strings produce something similar with respect to metalic harmonic tone.

that is a problem usually assosiated with strats when the pickups are too close to the strings they create a second note(horrible) called wolf tones , never heard them on a loverock , not say it cant happen . but always aproblem with strats

bruceboomstick said:

If the strings are too close the the p/ups the magnetic field can disrupt the way the string occilates creating a wierd harmonic. I've only read about this and ever seen it.

Yeah ssame here. I have been told that too, but never experienced it!!

Please have a listen to this clip. Some people that heard it at HC made some interesting suggestions

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=15419891

try changing your pickup
that isnt wolf tones. it could be a faulty pick up, tho the best idea is to get a guitar tech to sort the problem out . it will only drive you insane trying to get rid of the problem. and a good tech will sort it out

mike martin said:
try changing your pickup
that isnt wolf tones. it could be a faulty pick up, tho the best idea is to get a guitar tech to sort the problem out . it will only drive you insane trying to get rid of the problem. and a good tech will sort it out

true.

Well all i can tell is that this doesnt happen when i play on the neck pickup.

math2014 said:

My first thought when reading that was maybe you have the tailpiece too high. If it is too high, the string break angle is pretty shallow and you may not be getting enough downward pressure on the saddles. Just a thought...

Good luck! I know this stuff can drive you crazy. :)

Jim

Jim Jones said:
math2014 said:

My first thought when reading that was maybe you have the tailpiece too high. If it is too high, the string break angle is pretty shallow and you may not be getting enough downward pressure on the saddles. Just a thought...

Good luck! I know this stuff can drive you crazy. :)

Jim

Thanks jim,

The Tailpiece is flush with the body now. The problem is still there.

Back