Tokai LP Specials

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Jones

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if Tokai ever produced LP Specials as a "regular" instrument? The new ones look great (from togps' catalogue), I was just wondering if there were ever any "lower end" ones made...

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Jones said:
Just wondering if Tokai ever produced LP Specials as a "regular" instrument? The new ones look great (from togps' catalogue), I was just wondering if there were ever any "lower end" ones made...
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3386&highlight=special

:wink:

But I don't know if the single cutaway version with two P90s was available much earlier than just a few months ago - if this is what you're looking for...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info!

It's funny, I used to think there couldn't possibly be an uglier guitar in the world than a single-cutaway Les Paul Special. Now I want one like crazy. :) TV yellow is it though, I don't like the cherry Bob Marley-looking ones. :)

And God bless Tokai for sticking to the original design - "body wood" inside the cutaway as per the originals and the wraparound tailpiece, not a Tune-o-matic.

Now to decide if the LSS80 will do it for me or do I need the one-piece bodied, lacquer-finished LSS175? :)

Thanks again!

Jim

OK, I'm still daydreaming about a Tokai Special. Has anyone played one before? Which model? Impressions?

****, my wife is gonna kill me - but I really want one. :)

Jim

Please coments on LS175 Specials,please please.I got serious GAS.... 8)

Jim Jones said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Jim

You mean something like this Jim ?
Tokai LSS100 with SEB 'Sound Effect Body'

LSS100front.jpg

LSS100Headstock.jpg

LSS100side.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

Since I got this from Hisashi in japan I've changed the Bridge to a
lightweight aluminium one with intonation adjustment from www.pigtail.com - not to everyones visual taste ;-)

Also changed the bridge pickup to one from Bare Knuckle Pickups
a BKP -92. It's their hottest output P-90 stlye pickup. Cheers Riffpowers

The guitar is very very good and I can imagine that the LSS-175 is even better. It's very easy to play and has great tone and sustain.

Tokais LSS models, equipped with ALU wraparound STP's doesn't intonate 100% correct.
Therefore we are developing for Tokai at present time ALU featherlight STP's with integrated compensation.

See two prototypes of them.

Hey Togps,

I wonder why Tokai doesn't veer from historical accuracy and just make a compensated wraparound tailpiece that's intended for use with a plain G. How many people do you know who use a wound G in this day and age? :)

This is what the "stair steps" should look like to intonate correctly with light guage strings (perfect for 10-46 for example).

21_1.JPG

Jim

Jim, this STP works fine and is mounted on the low budget Tokais. Unfortunately this is not available in ALU material. Only made from zinc.

Togps,

Notice the position of the G-string notch on the bridge I posted compared to the G-string on the Tokai bridge - two totally different positions. The stock Tokai compensated bridge is impossible to intonate unless you use a wound G-string. I don't believe any rock player on earth uses a wound G anymore. :)

Jim

Jim, thanks. Yes, I get aware this problem.
I'll keep you informed about my compensated, correct intonated ALU wraparound STP procedure.

Hi!
I?m in contact with togps about that thing, and I?m going to assure that thing will work with nowadays guitar strings. - In the moment I got a wilkinson style (copy with moveable g&h string) wraparound on my LSS80, made of aluminum, and that one is working perfect! (the stock bridge was that wrong one - G-string) The look is a bit modern, but I do not care bout that! The sound and the perfect tuning is the main thing to me. If GF?s able to make a brige like the ones on his pics - but with the right G-string (G-point :lol: ) , made of aluminum, that will be some bridge a lotta players been waiting for.
I?ll get his bridges for testing next week, then we?ll know how that thing?s going on. In the moment I think that the left bridge on the pic will be the one that should be correct - except for the G-string.

I?m sure we?ll make that thing work really good!

nice day, "ACY"

Latest posts

Back