Top of the range Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not sure if there is such a topic around, so I apologise in advance if it's a duplicate thread.

What are the top of the range Tokai models? Just to make it more clear, what are the top models available from the Love Rock series, the Love Rock II Series, the SG Series and the AVT (Strat) Series?

The reason for my asking is because I am considering Tokai more, and more as a brand that I could see a lot of business with. I am still awaiting my first Tokai, a Love Rock LS70F (now the LS80F I believe) but, I have saw many a satisfied Tokai customer who gave nothin' but positive feedback in respect to the quality of their guitars, be it sound, build, finish, value for money, it's all good. Epiphone, nor Gibson share such a positive customer feedback, and on top of that Gibson are quite expensive and inconsistant in their build quality. Let's not lead off into that debate though. It all rests on how I personally take to my Love Rock, once it arrives, which should be any day now. :D

I made a thread about it, rather than just heading off to look myself because this opens up the stage for others to give their own personal insight, and views on whichever series/model they wish to comment on. Tokai seem to be a top brand, in the sense that they take great pride in their work, and as such a lot of time, care and effort goes into their guitars, at least from what I have read, and heard. They do seem to have the respect of a small, loyal, and ever growing customer base. What Tokai seem to be lacking, at least from what I can see, is purely the lack of big time interest, lack of popularity. Slap the name Gibson on a two by four, with elastic bands pulled tight over it and it would probably sell because of their high profile household name, y'know. Tokai don't have that but in terms of guitar build, sound and finish a lot do put Tokai right up there with the best of them, Gibson included, even ahead of them in recent times. Tokai are cheaper in price, because they have to be, they don't hold as much pull as Gibson do in the guitar market. I'd like to find out a bit more about Tokai, hence the asking. If their higher end models are of great quality, as in, rival Gibson's high end models, then I would have no problem sticking with Tokai.

On a side note, Tokai do seem to be gettin' a lot of attention from quite a few people now, I never noticed it before but they must do more than enough business. If Tokai are that good then I wanna get my hands on a few before popularity increases, which would no doubt merit a rise in prices too.

Midnight said:
What are the top of the range Tokai models? Just to make it more clear, what are the top models available from the Love Rock series, the Love Rock II Series, the SG Series and the AVT (Strat) Series?
LS320, LR75Q or SEB, SG70, no new MIJ Tokai Strats available, only old ones or Fender Japan. You forgot the ES range, by the way, with current top model ES120. And of course the Talbos (A-150) which are quite popular in Japan. There have always been a few higher priced models in each series, too, but usually not for long.

What Tokai seem to be lacking, at least from what I can see, is purely the lack of big time interest, lack of popularity.
That's also caused by the successful Gibson and Fender "lawsuit" campaigns in major export markets like the U.S. and Germany.

:eek: Before the internet Tokais were selling for very little. Until Ned started this forum there wasn't much about Tokai that you could find! But with information comes education and we as a group have done more to make people aware of the Greatness of a Tok than anything! :x Therefore prices have been rising , but if you take note of Burny and Greco you can still get a good guitar at a great price. I saw an 85' AST 62' last week in great condition ,Dakota Red for $250 so there are still some bargains to be had! :wink: TG

I've been busy with my new Love Rock, **** fine guitar it is, a beauty too! :D

Anyway, so the Strats are no longer available, or better put, no longer in production? I know Regent carry the AST50, but I've heard nothin' about Tokai's strats as of yet, probably because I ain't looked. :p How would it stand up to a new Fender American Series Strat?

So, back to the Love Rock's. An LS320, that's the top model. I see from the 2000 Tokai catalog that they are/were 320,000 Yen. That works out around ?1,585, if my currency converter is correct. That's around the same price as the local guitar stores have their Gibson Les Paul Standards on sale for. Now, I own an LS70F, which by checkin' the serial number was made in 2004. So, does that class it as an LS80F? I get confused by that model numbers changing at times. :-? It's great, just unreal how perfect it is for me, a little heavy if anything on the down side but that's easily sorted with a good strap and a bit of working out! Great build quality, beautiful finish and an amazing neck, feels like it was custom made for my hand, I guess I struck lucky! 8) Sound, well, I get lost in playing for a few hours at times so that should say it all. Although, I'm not sure about the pickups, in hearing Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro's I think I prefere them.

Anyway, I keep straying from my point. The high end models, those being the LS200, LS220 and LS320 line up as such.

LS200 *200,000 Yen*
BODY/Flamed Maple Top:
Mahogany Back
NECK/Mahogany Set-Neck
FINGERBOARD/Ebony
BRIDGE/LS-VB Bridge
LS-VT Tailpiece
PICKUPS/PAF Vintage MK I
CONTROLS/2V.,2T.,3way-SW.
FINISH/Lacquer Finish

LS220 *220,000 Yen*
BODY/Quilted Maple Top:
Mahogany Back
NECK/Mahogany Set-Neck
FINGERBOARD/Ebony
BRIDGE/LS-VB Bridge
LS-VT Tailpiece
PICKUPS/PAF Vintage MK I
FINISH/Lacquer Finish

LS320 *320,000 Yen*
BODY/AAAA Flame Maple Top:
Honjoras Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK/Honjoras Mahogany One Piece Deep Joint
FINGERBOARD/Jacaranda
BRIDGE/LS-VB Bridge
LS-VT Aluminum Tailpiece
PICKUPS/Duncan SH-55
VOLUME POT/CTS
CONDENSER/Oil Condenser CDE Black Cat
FINISH/Lacquer Finish

The LS200 and LS220 differ only in that the LS200 has a flamed top and the LS220 a quilted top, not much of a price difference. The LS320 takes a big jump in price though, and the specs do show difference in wood for the body, neck and fingerboard, as well as different pickups and what not. Ultimately the question is, how much of a difference in sound will all of that make? How much of a quality difference in sound would be apparent between the LS320 and LS70F? I'm guessing it would be huge, but gotta check, y'know. :wink:

Midnight said:
How much of a quality difference in sound would be apparent between the LS320 and LS70F? I'm guessing it would be huge, but gotta check, y'know. :wink:

A little more than the difference between a production line Gibson and the Historic reissues.

there is a rumour of an LS-350 and I saw one once that was designated a 450, didnt have love rock on the headstock just an ornate inlay ..I think they were only produced for a specific guitar shop in japan..

the 320 is a fantastic guitar anyway..

Latest posts

Back