I just bought a guitar I've never even touched.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundhound

Reaction score
Never even been in the same room with it. Have I lost my mind?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7304598267

I bought her sister :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7304579826

Now I have to find out how to pay with PayPal when it suddenly does not allow creditcard payment...

Hi Soundhound ? Well, ?congratulations on the new axe ? I don?t see any problems with that LS80, in fact I think you got a truly beautiful guitar for an amazingly good price 8) ? even with import costs & taxes that guitar is clearly worth substantially more than you paid for it ? Nas Tak (Katana) is pretty trustworthy seller too (though he does insist on prompt payment) ? really nothing else to say, at $560 it?s a no-brainer! ...great buy, well done :-? .

Ian.

Hi Hoss, ?congratulations on the Reborn, should be lovely vintage & collectible guitar full of individual character, mojo & vibe (whatever they are ? sort of inexplicable feeling you get from owning and playing a lovely old original instrument) 8) .

Of course the Reborns aren?t cheap, we?re talking Gibson prices really ? hope the frets are OK, he says 75% & that may indicate a fair bit of wear ? old guitars often need a bit of work before they produce their best, you may need to budget for a pro-setup. Lovely guitar though, ? better than my Tokai LP lol :D . Please give us a report on playing/tone/condition when it arrives ? I?d love to know what you think :-? .

Re. difficulty over Credit Card via Paypal ? I had exactly same problem paying Katana that way ? I?ve never had any problem with any other seller, but with Katana I just couldn?t get Paypal to accept the credit card payment (I?ll shoot you a PM about that) ? in the end I paid extra $45 to send him a direct Bank Transfer, but that took 7 days ? he was OK about it, but I needed to keep him fully informed of progress every day (he seemed to appreciate that) :-? .

Ian.

Thanks Ian,

the problem is with PayPal here in Austria. I CAN NOT fund my account from creditcard OR bank account due to strict Austrian bank laws.
I made the transfer now from my bank. 20,- fee but what can you do.

Tokai - especially Reborns - are super rare in Austria and while the price is no bargain the current EUR-USD rate makes it interesting.

I will put my set of Burstbuckers 2&3 in the guitar which I recently took out of a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.
If the frets need work I have a great luthier.

Congrats on your purchase! I hope this is "the one" you've been looking for...;)

Thanks everyone. And thanks again Ian et al for all your advice and patience with all my questions, I really appreciate it very much. I've got my fingers crossed and will let you know how it looks and plays once it gets here.

Anybody familiar with the pickups that would be in this model? I know they're supposed to be based on PAFs. I was thinking of putting wagners in whatever I got, for that nice old bluesy vibe, but some people have said I might be happy with them as is? Anybody familiar with this era LS80 pups?

Soundhound (cool nick, btw): The Wagners are great and Jim is a very cool guy. I did not like the Burstbucker 3 in my 68 Custom Authentic, it was a bit too bright. I put Wagner Crossroads in there and I am in vintage PAF heaven.
The Burstbuckers will find their new home in my Reborn :)

Congrats on your purchase ! don't worry, that seller is a pretty decent guy. This is the first of many guitars you will buy this way, enjoy !.

thanks whitehall. Nice axe, hoss! It's a beauty. Nothing better than a good looking older sister, I always say. Congratulations!

I'll see about those Crossroads. By the way, has anyone tried the wager Fillmore pickups? In theory that should be the set I want, but everyone always raves about the Crossroads...

Great looking guitars - both...I eyed that Reborn too. But I'm just going to sit and wait for...well, who knows - I don't even know what it's going to be myself.

As much as I'm not too crazy about flames I think that flamed wine one looks awesome. I hope it works out for you. GOOD looker that one.

Clay

Soundhound said:
I'll see about those Crossroads. By the way, has anyone tried the wager Fillmore pickups? In theory that should be the set I want, but everyone always raves about the Crossroads...
I've never tried them personally, but the german magazine "Gitarre & Bass" tested them together with other competitors in their February issue and published the sound samples in MP3 or WAV format on their web site (1 MB each). You could also order this outdated issue with the complete test report from them there.

She's coming, she's coming...
http://211.18.214.210/cgi-bin/ems-from-eng?tr_num=EI243822145JP&submit=START

It IS nerve-wracking. Wondering whether the mail order bride will be damaged en route, and whether she'll be in shape when she gets here, as beautiful as in her pictures, or instead has spent the last year eating donuts and bonbons and looks like Kirstie Alley.

Soundhound said:
It IS nerve-wracking. Wondering whether the mail order bride will be damaged en route.
The mail order bride (should I name her "Mai Ling"?) is at the customs office!
The big surprise of the deal will be how much they are gonna charge me for a "cheap Asian guitar copy, 27 years old"...

...waitin' for the yellow truck tomorrow!

Soundhound said:
Customs? You have to pay customs? Whoops, didn't know about that...
Well, I am importing something from Japan to the European Union.
Let's see.
"Customs clearance" at the same minute as "Arrival" sounds promising!
http://211.18.214.210/cgi-bin/ems-from-eng?tr_num=EI243822145JP&submit=START

t4kkoem1.jpg

Soundhound said:
Customs? You have to pay customs? Whoops, didn't know about that...

Uh-oh.... if you're in the UK, customs will come to an extra 20% of what you've paid already (including shipping).

Back