Intonation problem on one string.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_man

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a little intonation problem on my love rock which I'm hoping someone can help with?

Every string on the guitars intonation is pretty much spot on apart from the high E which Is hopeless.

When I play for instance a D minor chord the fretted note on the 2nd fret sounds okay but if playing the E string open it's seriously flat like mega flat and of course if i tune it up so it sounds okay open It's mega sharp fretted!!!

It's driving me fricken insane!

Anyone got any ideas my bridge saddle is positioned as far towards the neck end of the bridge as possible with no more travel left so I'm really stuck.

Any help from anyone would be super appreciated.

Cheers Steve

Paladin2019 said:
Sounds like an issue with the nut slot height.

Hi Paladin do you think it's too high or too low?

Does it require me to file it maybe?

Cheers - Steve

I think I've figured out your problem. On a Dm you should be fretting the first fret not the second on the high e string. :lol: Have you tried changing the string? It could be a bad string.

Also, if the fretted note is sharp, move the bridge saddle AWAY from the neck end of the bridge. It is best to tune it up and compare 12th fret harmonics to 12th fret note for adjustment.

:eek: If this is a bolt on neck ,check to see if the neck is shifting and make it straight! :wink: TG

I've moved the high E's saddle around and it's best closest the neck end of the guitar, but it's still way off.

Do I need a new bridge or am I just doomed?

Steve

:eek: Has to be the nut! If a fretted note is fine, the problem is behind your hand... it's gotta be! 8) TG

Sounds like the nut slot is not cut deep enough, causing the string to play sharp, dont cut it without the correct file cos you'll end up with the wrong shape cut and it'll grab the string or some other horror, get a tech to do it.

firebird65 said:
Sounds like the nut slot is not cut deep enough, causing the string to play sharp, dont cut it without the correct file cos you'll end up with the wrong shape cut and it'll grab the string or some other horror, get a tech to do it.

Agreed. In fact, I'd get the entire nut replaced with bone - it's one of the best upgrades you can make to a love rock.

Paladin2019 said:
firebird65 said:

Agreed. In fact, I'd get the entire nut replaced with bone - it's one of the best upgrades you can make to a love rock.

Where would I get a bone nut for a Love Rock in the UK?

I'm not sure where I can source one and where I live there ain't too many guitar techs near by.

Cheers Steve

Getting the nut is not a problem, you can find a guitar shop in a magazine or on the internet, getting a tech may be more of a problem, your local guitar shop should help, what part of the world are you in?

I'm down in the Scottish Borders! Nearest place is probably Edinburgh but I don't know who's good to go to tech wise. I don't want some cowboy choppin bit off my Love Rock heaven forbid!!!

Cheers Steve

My brother worked in Scayles music in Edinburgh until last week, I'll ask him to recommend a tech and where to get a nut.
I'll try and get hold of him today or tomorrow.
Keep watching ths skies.

firebird65 said:
My brother worked in Scayles music in Edinburgh until last week, I'll ask him to recommend a tech and where to get a nut.
I'll try and get hold of him today or tomorrow.
Keep watching ths skies.

Thanks firebird that would be awesome.

Cheers Steve

Best to do everything through the tech - they'll probably have some nut blanks on hand.

Cost me about ?25 last time I had it done but it was one of the best investments I ever made.

Well my brother came up with two techs in Edinburgh,
there's LIVE music on Leven Street, (0131 229 2829), I think he mentioned a guy called Phil (also said that Phil doesn't charge enough for his work - bonus),
and also there's a good tech at Sound Control (0131 557 3986) on St Marys street (just off the Royal Mile near the Worlds End pub).
Give them a call and your woes will be history.
Paul.

firebird65 said:
Well my brother came up with two techs in Edinburgh,
there's LIVE music on Leven Street, (0131 229 2829), I think he mentioned a guy called Phil (also said that Phil doesn't charge enough for his work - bonus),
and also there's a good tech at Sound Control (0131 557 3986) on St Marys street (just off the Royal Mile near the Worlds End pub).
Give them a call and your woes will be history.
Paul.

Absolutly spot on thanks very much for your help I'll give them a ring and let you know. Thanks for taken the time to help me out!!!

Steve

Latest posts

Back