MIK love rock... Slash replica?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.shiney

Reaction score
OK here we go, first impressions of my new MIK "Slash loverock" I have played a few Les Pauls over the years but dont have one right here to compare with but I do have my '95 Hamer USA studio which is basicly a custom shop double cutaway LP. But thats not fair because the Hamer is a perfect 10.Anyway the Tokai is stunningly beautiful, could easily be mistaken for a gibson from 5 feet away.It is a honeybust with nice flame whatever,could be maple, is more than likley sycamore or could even be photo flame (bummer).I looked inside one of the pickup cavity but still really cant tell. the main body and back are some kind of mohagany,but not the good stuff,but that's ok. Fit and finish are flawless, and that surprised me. I looked real hard and cant find anything wrong. The neck is a 3 piece afair, the nut looks alittle cheesey, buy nicely cut ,the action is good ,could go lower if you want to_Other than the apparant use of other woods the only thing I see is that the binding looks alittle "plasticy"and might be a bit thinner than a gibson. The biggest flaw is the use of some real crappy tuners... to be replaced this weekend.The rest of the hardware seems ok... I looked inside the control cavity and it looks pretty good(have you ever seen inside a Hamer control cavity ...
wow its art in itself).OK,OK what does it sound like is what you really want to know...well....I can say that I wasnt disappointed nor thrilled it sounded OK,fair,not bad.I was able to pull some Guns and Roses LP sounds that I have nt been able to find in the Hamer and athat was EXACTLY what I was lookin for ,so for me its a good addition to sounds I like. I will more than likely replace the pickups, maybe just the bridge one.The reason I got this love rock was that I wanted a guitar that I could modify with out the feeling that I just ruined a 2000.00 guitar. But in the end I will play it with pride because I think its got the makins of a really great axe... and you can't beat the price. I hate Gibson and how they think that you should pay through the nose just to have their name on your guitar, in my mind they are the Harley Davidson of the guitar industry,Oh I almost forgot a Harley is an investment...yea sure. Well EC's old Frankin strat blackey just sold for almost a million at auction so instead of the guitar makin YOU famous maybe one of us can make the guitar famous.

No TKM...Is that on the truss rod cover? Mine just has made in Korea and a serial number on the back of headstock.where did you get yours at? I also forgot to mention that the fret work is some of the finest Ive ever seen on any guitar... no matter what the price, WAY better than my american made fender srv... I think I am diggin this guitar more by the hour.... tubes are hot and the ears are ringin!

No its on the actual headstock, most say model, mine says TKM model which is a bit weird. I have no serial number anywhere, a flame top and 2 piece back. To be honest, it is one of the best sounding guitars I have experienced, it gets gigged every week and still lokks like new. I guess it's a 2000 or 2001 model.

So far I have had this guitar for about a week. My grovers just came in the mail and are ripping at the seams to be installed. How do you say someting like this? All of you have had nice guitars in the past and present, some seem like they were built on a hangover monday or rush to go home friday, and some were built on a good day wednesday. This slash model was definately built on a wednesday. I have never played a MIJ tokai, but if i see one in my range, its mine. this MIK plays like a dang dream, just a few tweaks out of the box and watch out. Im new to this forum and Tokai guitars entirely. In 1975 I purchased a new LP copy by Ibanez. This guitar played like a dream also. The feel of this slash is very comparable, only with better tone. I play through a Digitech GNX1 sound processor and can get any sound you can imagine. My only sorrow is that i didnt know about these guitars years ago. Enough of my ranting. One day soon I hope to find a nice MIJ Love Rock to compare this MIK with and shall see what all the rave is about. But so far I can only say that this slash MIK can keep up with the best of them. An EX GLP owner. lol

I have had my 2003 MIK Love Rock for a week now and I have to say that I am more than happy with the performance. The tones just seem to get better each time I pick it up. My only complaint so far is the tuners are pretty weak and i have to retune every hour or so of playing, and I have a bit of fret buzz on the low E at about the 10th fret.

If you are looking for a reasonable alternative to an actual Gibson, don't hesitate! Tokai is alright in my books!

Back