WHO MAKES WHAT?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank thomson

Reaction score
HI.

I was just wondering who makes the Tokai Brand?

I thought Samick and Cort were #1 and #2 in guitar mfg.

So then which is it? ....Or are they an indy company?

Who makes the MIK Tokais?....or MIC?....or MIJ?

HELP!

Thanks 4 answering my stoopid question.
8]

COOL.....

but i wonder who makes Tokai Korea? i'll put money it's the same company that makes the Alvarez electrics....which, I'll bet is Cort.

Guesses anyone? Or is it a taboo subject?

Ever hear of Reverend guitars? I once asked who made Reverend pickups for them. OMG, did they get pissed. I think he would have rather given me his wife than answer the question!.....lol.....

And one time, i asked the people at the Martin guitar factory about the HPL(high-pressure-laminate) guitars they're now selling. I asked the guy directly, during a tour w/ many others, I said, "Isn't that FORMICA?" He said, "Oh....the *F* word!"

He tactfully evaded that question. ......but he was BUSTED!

ANYHOO, just curious is all. If this question isn't answered, then I'll know I'm steppin on someones toes!

Is the same factory making old Dillions and such,B C Rich,and more brands.Real Tokais are MIJ only,other than that are licensed.It is a very obvious thing.Just like other brands do.

luis said:
Real Tokais are MIJ only.

hmmmm.......interesting

so then, by that statement, all Tokais are not real, they're imitations,
...since all Tokai makes are FENDER TELECASTER/STRATOCASTER, GIBSON copies.

RIGHT?

so then, only Tokai JAPAN makes the REAL FAKES?

RIGHT?

O-K......

[FWIW, Luis, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but isn't Tokai a copy by definition?]

frank thomson said:
[FWIW, Luis, I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but isn't Tokai a copy by definition?]

Not the Talbos :lol:

I think he meant in the context of the company making their own product rather than licencing it out to another manufacturer. MIJ tokai are Tokai, but MIK's are brand X with the tokai name on the headstock.

maybe they have a Korean plant like fender has a Mexico plant?

hmmm......

BTW, I'm just curious is all. Thanks 4 responding Luis and Paladin. :wink:

another unrelated question: what do you think I should pay for a `75 Tokai Breezysound?

so then...are todays fenders copies of Leos? Many MIA Fender models have changed a lot since he came up with his designs. Or does a guitar have to MIA to be a non copy? Where do MIMs fit in?
There are a bunch of high end Japanese makers who are outdoing Fender at their own designs these days. Call em fakes if you want to but I call them mine.

sneakyjapan said:
so then...are todays fenders copies of Leos? Many MIA Fender models have changed a lot since he came up with his designs. Or does a guitar have to MIA to be a non copy? Where do MIMs fit in?
There are a bunch of high end Japanese makers who are outdoing Fender at their own designs these days. Call em fakes if you want to but I call them mine.

Then of course there's G&L.... :lol:

Dear Frank,welcome to this board,I noticed you are newbie here.If you had read the board before you'll noticed things asked by you were explained some time ago.Sometimes it is difficult for me explaining in english,if you read the board some time ago you will see that.So,relax yourself and have fun here.I am very happy with my Tokais,try some and make your own opinions.If you prefer other brand buy that.I like playing GUITARS whatever a brand was.If I find a guitar I like I buy it and keep it of course.And...I have bought Tokais because I felt they were the better I found.Paladin was right what I meant.

luis said:
Dear Frank,welcome to this board,I noticed you are newbie here.If you had read the board before you'll noticed things asked by you were explained some time ago.Sometimes it is difficult for me explaining in english,if you read the board some time ago you will see that.So,relax yourself and have fun here.I am very happy with my Tokais,try some and make your own opinions.If you prefer other brand buy that.I like playing GUITARS whatever a brand was.If I find a guitar I like I buy it and keep it of course.And...I have bought Tokais because I felt they were the better I found.Paladin was right what I meant.

Well said luis.

Several people on this board, myself included, chose to pay big bucks for a premium 'copy' over the 'originals' because we felt the copy was the better guitar. With all the hype around the originals, and the kind of cash involved, that's not a decision you come to lightly. Nobody regretted their decision. 8)

Well Luis, thanks for the welcome :wink: You all seem very nice here, and I hope to be a frequent visitor.

and Paladin, 1975 T's don't exist? That's exactly the ebay auction i was talking about. Thanks 4 the link. :wink:

Back