Should i buy this tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havmaage

Reaction score
Hi guys
Im looking into buying my first guitar in 15 years that means that i used to play years ago and now im starting up again.

I am looking at a used Tokai Stratocaster silver star with serial 1103461 the add says it is from 1981

I used to own fender telecaster/stratocaster mexico models and a few us models.
I am not looking into a us model at this time so my question is
If i should select between a Tokay Silver Star Strat or an Fender MEX std strat from 1992-2017 would a tokay be a good chooice and why ?

There is so many cheep guitars on the market today and i found it difficult to se whats hot or not
Br Simon

The 1981 Tokai will be better than the Mex fender. Here is some info on the SilverStar Tokai line (below). Do you know anymore details about the guitar? Is it 3 or 4 piece back 2 piece do you have any pics? Can you see what type of tuners it has? CBS, schaller, kulson type etc. Then you could narrow the model number down a bit more.

Notes:
• Before 1979, all models (even the base ST42) had Sen Ash bodies.
• In 1980, the model number indicator changed from being two digits (e.g. “80”) stamped into the wood of the
fret-board, just above the top (21st) fret, to being a black, oval sticker with silver digits placed on the flat back of the
neck where it joins the body.
• In 1981/82, the serial numbers changed from a 7-digit format which indicated production date to a variety of styles
which mimicked the Fender model being copied.
• The ST70 is relatively rare and featured a capped fret-board of either maple or “Slab” rosewood (Springy Sounds
only). Consequently, the necks had no skunk stripe.

The characteristics of the Silver Star models were quite similar:

Model Body Pickups Tuners
SS36-40 3 or 4 piece Alder Alnico CBS type, Chrome
(sometimes “H” stamp),
flat pole pieces

SS48-50 2 piece Alder Alnico Schaller type, Chrome
(sometimes “S” stamp),
flat pole pieces

SS60 2 piece Alder with 4 bolt Alnico (“U” stamp), Kluson type, Nickel
neck, no bullet truss-rod staggered pole pieces
(1966-67 version)

SS60 2 piece Alder with 3 bolt Alnico, possibly DiMarzio, Schaller type, Chrome
neck, bullet truss-rod, staggered pole pieces
brass bridge saddles

SS80 2 piece Sen Ash with DiMarzio FS-1, Schaller type, Chrome
Nitro finish flat pole pieces

Thx for the reply
the add in danish with pictures can been seen here

https://www.dba.dk/elguitar-tokai-silver-star/id-1064341458/

That one is really had to tell. It could be a ss36r to a ss60r guitar. All the parts have been changed on it. Tuners, pickups. So I cannot really tell beyond that. It has a skunk strip rosewood neck. Which with Tokai is pretty normal. Not sure it this is a giveaway or if that is just the way they did stuff back then. Maybe someone else can help out here.

Back