I finally became a very unhappy Tokai owner.

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

brokentoes
Guitar God

Re: I finally became a more or less proud Tokai owner.

Post by brokentoes » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am

i just checked out my Tokai black custom out of curiosity and the inlays seem straight, mine however is a lower end MIJ 2011 LC with rosewood board. I also have a 2014 all hog WR LC136 that i won on a Japanese auction that i hope is a good one. It will be a few months before it gets home.

Perhaps emailing Tokai with your pictures and questions would be the best course for answers. I'm sure they would like to see what left their factory more than anyone. Now with the pandemic going on i'm not sure if they are even open mind you but best of luck !!

Congrats on yours because other than the wonky blocks it looks stellar.

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:41 am

brokentoes wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am
i just checked out my Tokai black custom out of curiosity and the inlays seem straight, mine however is a lower end MIJ 2011 LC with rosewood board. I also have a 2014 all hog WR LC136 that i won on a Japanese auction that i hope is a good one. It will be a few months before it gets home.

Perhaps emailing Tokai with your pictures and questions would be the best course for answers. I'm sure they would like to see what left their factory more than anyone. Now with the pandemic going on i'm not sure if they are even open mind you but best of luck !!

Congrats on yours because other than the wonky blocks it looks stellar.
Do you have an email contact from Tokai?

I wrote to Kurosawa about the issue but they decided to ignore my complaint...I am a little disappointed, the Japanese are not what they used to be.

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 am

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:01 pm

brokentoes wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:00 am
Yes i do.

tokaigakki@hkg.odn.ne.jp
Thank you, I will write them.

Today I changed the strings and found other "interesting" things.

The pickups are not branded Gotoh but "produced of Tokai".

Moreover, it is clear there is a cap on another type of wood with a whitish base paint:

Even less happy as the guitar was sold a 1 piece mahogany body, that was the main reason why I bought it.

I don´t dispute that it´s a beautiful guitar but if it comes out it´s just a LC230 with an additional pickup and Bigsby it will be a serious disappointment.

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:08 am

1 piece body never includes the top cap or veneer but refers to the main back body only.
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:44 am

mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:08 am
1 piece body never includes the top cap or veneer but refers to the main back body only.
Ok how do you interpreter this statement?
This in LS lineup Les Paul custom LC235 of the premium series of the highest peak to a base
KLC345BB of the order model who gave upgrading everywhere.
I adopt the ebony materials which is very high-density to a finger board in the 1P African mahogany of choice materials to a body, the neck.
Furthermore, I put ビグスビー B7 on 3PU.
I become our store special order model who imaged Les Paul whom Jimmy Page has ever used.
And these specs:
BODY: African Mahogany One Piece
NECK: African Mahogany One Piece
   Set-Neck Deep Joint
FINGERBOARD: Ebony
RADIUS: 300R
FRETS: 22F ♯ 213
SCALE: 625/312 .5mm
BRIDGE: HLS-VB (Brass Saddle) Bridge
   Bigsby B7
TUNERS: Gotoh SG301-04
NUT(width): Bone(43.0mm)
INLAY: Block (Mother of Pearl)
PICKUPS: PAF-Vintage MK2 *3
CONTROLS: 2V.,2T.,3way Toggle SW
POT: CTS
SWITCH: Switchcraft
CONDENSER: Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS: Switchcraft
FINISH: Lacquer Finish
Tax-excluded list price 345,000 yen

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:46 am

cuthbert wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:44 am
mdvineng wrote:
Ok how do you interpreter this statement?
This in LS lineup Les Paul custom LC235 of the premium series of the highest peak to a base
KLC345BB of the order model who gave upgrading everywhere.
I adopt the ebony materials which is very high-density to a finger board in the 1P African mahogany of choice materials to a body, the neck.
Furthermore, I put ビグスビー B7 on 3PU.
I become our store special order model who imaged Les Paul whom Jimmy Page has ever used.
And these specs:
BODY: African Mahogany One Piece
   Set-Neck Deep Joint
   Bigsby B7
Kurosawa is still selling the sister guitar, serial number #555, and these are its specs.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kur ... /10150202/

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:35 am

That's a really bad translation into English and doesn't make for another interpretation of any accuracy.
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:56 am

top looks like maple to my eyes, from looking at the walls of the pickup routes
A = Alnico :lol:

Well, the reason I like PAFs is because they are the most single coil sounding of the buckers - Possum

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 am

mdvineng wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:35 am
That's a really bad translation into English and doesn't make for another interpretation of any accuracy.
Yesterday I wrote them to ask clarifications, they didn´t answer, but the description of the sister guitar has changed:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kur ... /10150202/

Today it became this:
BODY: African Mahogany One Piece Back Maple 2piece top
   Set-Neck Deep Joint
   Bigsby B7
However I took a screenshot of my auction, that stated otherwise:

Very disappointed, I bought this guitar because I wanted an all mahogany Custom, and after realising the "error" they didn´t even bother to say sorry about it, they just ignored my email BUT updated the description.

Can I say it´s a SLIGHTLY dishonest behavior? Especially due to the fact I spend more than $2500 for this guitar. :evil:

Watersilk
Plucker

Post by Watersilk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 am

cuthbert wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:55 am
Just sent the payment for this KLC345BB, shameful copy of a 1957 Custom with three pickups and Bibsgy B7:
Hey Cuthbert,

Remember that Gibson also make 'shameful' copies of three pickup Customs too! The only difference is that their shameful copies have the same name on the headstock!

I want to get a Tokai 1955 copy, a Japanese one,, the Black Beauty, the one with the P90 and Staple pickups, fit it with gold waffle tuners and Lollar pickups.

Is it very heavy? For some reason, I always think of custom's being heavy.

cuthbert
I only know 3 chords

Post by cuthbert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:08 am

Watersilk wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 am
cuthbert wrote:
Just sent the payment for this KLC345BB, shameful copy of a 1957 Custom with three pickups and Bibsgy B7:
Hey Cuthbert,

Remember that Gibson also make 'shameful' copies of three pickup Customs too! The only difference is that their shameful copies have the same name on the headstock!
If you read the thread you´ll find out it´s not a shameful copy, unfortunately. :(

At this point I should have saved for a Gibson R7 reissue, at least you know you get a one piece mahogany body.

Watersilk
Plucker

Post by Watersilk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:25 am

mdvineng wrote:
Yes, that's quite true; however, I didn't think that Custom's had a cap of any kind, I thought they were solid mahogany, unlike the Goldtops or Standards? I could well be wrong about this.

Watersilk
Plucker

Post by Watersilk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:40 am

cuthbert wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:08 am
Watersilk wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:05 am
cuthbert wrote:
Hey Cuthbert,

If you read the thread you´ll find out it´s not a shameful copy, unfortunately. :(

At this point I should have saved for a Gibson R7 reissue, at least you know you get a one piece mahogany body.
Cuthbert, it looks amazing!

I bought the first Gibson Collecter's edition guitar; I had dreamed of owning a Peter Green copy for years, when I finally got it, I was really shocked. There were a few things I hated about it, the worst was that the cap actually overlapped the mahogany back, not by a minute amount, it was 'very' noticeable! I took it back to the shop I bought it from, they refused to give my money back! In the end, I was fortunate to do a deal with another shop, they swapped it for a new '59 model. I lost about £200 on the swap!

I'm now the proud owner of a very nice Extra Faded Cherry Les Paul, but it has taken me years to love that guitar, I suppose because it wasn't what I set out to buy in the first place.

Perhaps you need to change the electrical wiring, RS Guitarworks, or Bare Knuckle pots and Luxe caps, put some special pickups in there and make it your own. I think in time, you will overlook the inlay, and fall in love with this guitar :)

JVsearch
Guitar God

Post by JVsearch » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm

It's possible that white looking part in the pickup routes could be wood filler that gets put on before the colour coats.
You could try sanding it a bit to see if you get through to some brown wood.

It looks like the grain underneath that white section is similar to the main body wood, possibly too many pores to be maple? Also, take a look at the wood dust that came out of the pickup ring screw holes - it's pretty dark brown (in the shot below). I thought maple was a lighter colour, but then some of the other screw holes look to have lighter coloured dust. It's all a bit confusing.

Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.