LP Deluxe / mini Humbucker style modification ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Alan-

Reaction score
I've been drawn towards the tone (and indeed the look) of the mini - Humbucker equipped Les Pauls of late. Was wondering has anybody either seen, or indeed modified a standard double humbucker or P90 equipped LoveRock to take the smaller pickups ?

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?48340-Humbucker-sized-adapters-for-mini-humbuckers

Thanks mdv.

Been googling a bit, and it seems like there are some cheap rings that would help in the conversion process.

https://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Mini-Humbucker-Adapter-Pickup-cream/dp/B00XRNIJ00

If one were lucky, to might be straightforward enough.

Here's the video of the LesPaul that started me thinking btw..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Aqh2Frm0o&list=LLMt0MthyXWihYFU5MVmdEoQ&index=5&t=0s

Ah man - that wine colour is probably my all time favourite LP hue as well.
The want is growing :)

^ I wouldn't disagree at all Marcus.

The main problem I have is that I already have too many similar sounding twin humbucker equipped guitars. One of my doublecuts has had a nice p90 conversion, with out of phase and series/parallel options - which gives a bit more tonal range.

I can see the merits of having the different tones that the minis give (maybe even with a similarly modded loom to give the same kind of variety the DC has).

Did someone say "minihumbucker"? Love them!
My Aria pro II LD700
tumblr_n3j7j0TvjV1t2f1sno1_1280.jpg

My Ibanez RS135 conversion
tumblr_n69cy2Yw1x1t2f1sno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n69cy2Yw1x1t2f1sno2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n6epwbU7pb1t2f1sno1_400.jpg

Best of both worlds?
tumblr_nl446fJ6M11t2f1sno1_1280.jpg

Uncovered mini? I thought they'd fall apart.
tumblr_n23dxxqaj31qz5q5oo1_640.jpg

tumblr_na28q8utl81qjc8jbo1_1280.jpg

I had a dark burgundy 1971 for years, added Dimarzio and a TP6 at one point.
tumblr_mztweyOIaD1t2f1sno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mxo6o9qaSi1t5ac82o1_1280.jpg

Cool color but looks sticky.
tumblr_n54gx1qEnY1t2f1sno1_500.jpg

tumblr_ncq4aq6vxB1s64eaho1_1280.jpg

Hey - some seriously nice ones there :) I think if I'd had something like that burgundy '71, I'd have designated it a keeper!

Loudmouse said:
Best of both worlds?
tumblr_nl446fJ6M11t2f1sno1_1280.jpg

The installation of the mini on that one is actually quite neat. Apart from the screw holes from the original surround, it almost looks like a factory job.

The mini's would have been factory and then it was routed for full size humbucker at the bridge.
The screw holes at the neck PU are from something called "goof rings" that they used at one point.

Yeah, never should have let that '71 go(should have kept the JMP combo too), loved the deep dark color on it.

Ah - got you, that makes sense. It was a bit too neat for a retrofit after all :)

Agree on the burgundy. That and another 'merlot' coloured LesPaul are perhaps two of the finest colours I've seen them in yet.

Back