NGD... my first Tokai. Did I do alright?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobar

Reaction score
FedEx just dropped this gal off on my front porch. My first Tokai. I've been looking for one for quite some time and never found the right one at the right price. Found this LS196 EF-VF up for auction. Even though it was listed as new I figured it was (and expected it to be) used since it wasn't coming from an authorized dealer or manufacturer. I recall this EXACT same guitar (same serial number... same guitar) being posted last Summer on Reverb for $1,800 with $180 S&H from an authorized dealer in Spain. I remember bookmarking it. Loved it then. Couldn't justify the price and was sad when I saw it go. I got it with the leather-bound hardshell Tokai case shipped for $1,400. It seemed like a good deal. I pulled it out of the box, opened the case and realized this thing has probably never been played... still had the protective plastic on both pickups and the pickguard. I tuned it up and plugged in it and wow... I'm in love! 9 lbs 2 oz right on the nose. Feels amazing. Sounds fantastic. Taking it to my luthier for a proper setup tomorrow.

How did I do for my first Tokai? Did I do alright?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

mdvineng said:
Mmmmm spectactularly well, enjoy.
Thanks!

marcusnieman said:
Very nice.... I'm a sucker for a plaintop.
Is it a satin / matte finish? I like that!
That is why I was drawn to it. So many shiny flametops out there that it took a plaintop to really grab my attention. It has just a couple of little subtle hints of flame to it in a few spots which gives it some character. It is a Nitro semi-gloss that is almost so flat it looks satin. I really like the look.

Very nice..... one of the few Gibsons I own (and absolutely love) is a 2005 Standard Les Paul - first year for their Faded series. Very thin matte finish nitro on it that just feels great to play (not sticky on the back of the neck or where my arm rests on the body) and looks great too.

Great catch on that guitar of yours!

Hi

I have a Lemon Drop ULS 150F-3A-VF that Tokai states is a LS196 with a unique headstock. Yours also has a AAAAA maple cap and mine has a AAA cap.

Playing wise I'm not that good but a pro mate of mine used it one night an said it was incredible.

I have a couple of GRECOs too, and for the money the Japanese guitars can't be beat; except maybe by the Relish guitars.

GaryD

Latest posts

Back