New Tokais / ***** session!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaiguy

Reaction score
What do the rest of you think about these new Korean Tok's? I'm not interested in the Epi headstocks, blunt cutaways, nobs in the wrong places and what is that that thing they are calling a 335? Looks like a Washburn with Filter trons! Would anyone buy one of these things? If they would fix the volume and tone configuration of the "Custom Shop" models I'd go for it, but not the way they offer them today! :evil: I'm in a bitchy mood , It's Floodin Down in Texas today and I'm stuck here in the house on Labor Day. Maybe I'll head out to the garage and burn one! :D TG

Its all about copyright law. Without those changes Gibson would be all over Tokai like white on rice. Unfortunate for us but we've seen it before.

During the NAMM '03 show the PRS guys were in the Tokai booth taking tons of pictures of the PRS copy. They also pointed out the subtle changes that made the guitar OK to sell.

Ned

Wow! I feel like the man who complained about no shoes until he met a man who had no feet! Okay , I have spent this rainy day, dreaming away...Playing my Tok's ! Aint life grand! It looks like it's time to start buying Burny's and Greco"s! I offered a guy $400 for nice Super Grade...let's see if he bites! I'm working on a Jap Squier a friend ...set up and all... It's a nice piece! Looks like a 56' off white with maple. He wants humbuckers so I loaned him an old Charvel with SSH :lol: I think he likes It!!! TG 8)

I thought they already got rid of the Epi elite style headstock on the Tokai's for the usa and canada. Thought they are using the openbook again, but with the added little nipple in the center. That headstock doesnt bother me.

As for the rounded cutaway horn. Dont like it. Looks too much like Dillion or Samick. Gives it a cheap look. There should be no reason they can't use the standard lp body shape. Just the Gibby headstock is trademarked.
That's another reason I went with the Diodati (pretty sure made in the Hamamatsu factory as well). The body shape is traditional LP style. Headstock more of a prs style (which doesnt bother me).

If or when I do go for an actual Tokai, I'll order from japan and pay the duty tax. I just don't see the NLS body shape going over in the US.
which is a shame. Compared to Epi elite (fuji gen), the Tokai(hamamatsu) attention to detail in construction seems much better. The Elite's play very nice, but cosmetically no where near as neat and clean as my Diodati or Tokai's I have seen. Especially noticable around the inlays. Elite's have too much filler around them. Fuji Gen just routes the inlay cavities to wide. Instead of for a tight fit.

If Tokai would change back to the traditional body, I think they would be a great competitor over here in the states. Very easily could go up against, Epi, Lower end Gibson (Special thru Studio), Esp/LTD deluxe, Fernandes deluxe and elite, Ibanez Artist, and many other mid priced LP styles sold here.

Kent

I agree about the NLS Tokais looking undesireable, from a standpoint of wanting an LP shaped guitar. I bit the bullet and got one from Japan directly. I couldn't be happier that I went that route.

It must really bother Gibson and PRS that a company building a lot fewer copies of their guitars then any of the American companies are building themselves of the original models should not be allowed to compete here because of a headstock shape. That must be the tip of the iceberg as far as quality of the Tokai's go. The Tokais are all built so very well with no flaws or problems that these American companies don't even want to think that a lesser priced guitar would eat into their market share, which it certainly would do.

If I didn't care one way or the other about body/headstock shape, I would simply buy a NLS Tokai guitar, but since Tokai makes such a dead on replica of the LP, for the same price that it would have cost me here to buy an NLS, I took the time to get one sent over and it was worth it to go that way.

The Korean Tokais may be o.k., but nothing can beat the way the Japanese have got their own homeland company geared up and running for years with experienced luthiers in Hamamatsu.

C4 I agreee with you totally but Gibson snobbery is always going to be a major factor in this particular market. Show the average Les Paul fan a Gibson and a similarly priced but better specc'ed replica and they'll still choose the Gibson because they've taken the attitude "I want a Gibson Les Paul" rather than the more logical (IMO) "I want a good Les Paul type guitar."

Doesn't bother me too much - more Tokais for the likes of us. :wink: :D

Yes Palladin,I totally agree.This is the main reason I alwayes hear from people.Yours is a nice guitars but it is not a Gibson :roll: .Who cares?Not me of course,I like my Tokais.

Back