UALS48 Premium - Help request

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigpapi1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought this great instrument online in 2013. It was advertised as a new UALS48 Premium - not sure if this is really the case, but it feels like a quality instrument, very heavy too. But had a fairly sizeable crack in the finish which did not bother me at all, but made me think this might be a second hand instrument. It looks and plays great.

I would love to know where it was made and if possible what year. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Serial number is 9061827, and it is printed, not carved. (The pickups, bridge, knobs and kluson tuners were added by me later...)

wzjUD3c.jpg

sPfkJZB.jpg

b4FxLjY.jpg

Anyone? I would really appreciate any help.

At least to whether it is Chinese, Korean or Japanese...

Far as I'm aware, it's not Japanese- the model number isn't a Japanese model, and it has a 3-screw truss rod cover (Japanese ones have 2 screws).

The other regulars will know better than I do about the other questions. If it was a 2013 model, I think (but I could be wrong) that would mean it's Chinese-made, but if it's second-hand as you suspect, then it might be old enough to be Korean-built.

Dave_Mc said:
Far as I'm aware, it's not Japanese- the model number isn't a Japanese model, and it has a 3-screw truss rod cover (Japanese ones have 2 screws).

The other regulars will know better than I do about the other questions. If it was a 2013 model, I think (but I could be wrong) that would mean it's Chinese-made, but if it's second-hand as you suspect, then it might be old enough to be Korean-built.

Many thanks, any of the regulars would like to confirm this? I always suspected it was Chinese as well, to be honest...though still a quality guitar.

I think Dave_Mc is right, the one thing that puzzles me is the serial number, I thought only the MIJ models have a seven-digit serial number.

Two more things (on top of what Dave_Mc already pointed out :wink: ) that makes me think it's MIC, are the inserted bridge bushings in the body and the knob positions.

@Bigpapi1, did it already have the threaded bushes inserted in the body (before you changed the bridge)?

felixcatus said:
I think Dave_Mc is right, the one thing that puzzles me is the serial number, I thought only the MIJ models have a seven-digit serial number.

Two more things (on top of what Dave_Mc already pointed out :wink: ) that makes me think it's MIC, are the inserted bridge bushings in the body and the knob positions.

@Bigpapi1, did it already have the threaded bushes inserted in the body (before you changed the bridge)?

Yes I added the Tonepros bridge on the already existing poles.

I also thought the 7 digit serial numbers were MIJ, that is why I'm trying to find out more. If it wasn't for that, I would be sure it is chinese...

So far, all the given info (except for the serial#) steer me toward MIC.

What type of wood is the body? Does it have a slim neck?

I should probably point out that I didn't know the thing about the serial numbers- I was just going by the truss rod cover and the model number.

felixcatus said:
Here's something interesting;

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=164838&highlight=#164838

Huh, interesting indeed...thanks.

I'm pretty sure mine is a mahogany body and the neck is slightly slim, compared to say, a vintage Gibson.

I think I will just assume it is a MIC model, like the one in the last pics of the thread you sent me, with the 7 digit serial and the MIC sticker...

Back