Is my LS-50's case original? (see pics)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueguitar

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I searched previous posts and catalog pics but haven't found much about Tokai Love Rock cases. Now, I've seen the Lifton-style brown cases with the brass star logo that came with higher-end Love Rocks, but what about LS-50s and LS-60s?
Last year I got my first Love Rock, a refinished (hence, no serial number) early to mid '80s LS-50. It came in a black tolex softshell case w/ blue interior (It looks just like a genuine late '60s Gibson case I had). Could it be original? Peter Mac will probably have some insight. Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

tokaicase6.jpg

tokaicase1.jpg

tokaicase2.jpg

tokaicase4.jpg

Hi Joe,

I bought my TLS-50 Love Rock goldtop new in 1984 with the case, it doesn't look like yours, it follows the body contour. It also has a small gold colored plate with the Tokai logo on it. The case is black tolex with a green interior. There's a picture of it in the 1985 catalog, the LP120 model (there's also a brown version, LP140):
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/tokai8518.jpg

Mike

Here's some pics of the original case that my 1984 TLS50 came with:
http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ratsatam205/lst?.dir=/Tokai+Guitars/Case&.src=ph&.view=

My ALS60 serial #4022322 (1984?) also came with the black tolex/green lining case with the Tokai nameplate. I feel it's a high quality case and extremely form fitting, more so than Gibson LP cases I've had. I'm skeptical that yours is original, sorry.

Thanks for the info & pictures.

I wanted to know mainly to satisfy my curiosity. With the refinish and a few upgrades the previous owner made resale value isn't gonna be great (not that I'm letting go of it any time soon :wink: ). Now I can feel free to mix and match cases. Maybe I'll even happen upon an original Tokai case. They look pretty nice--about as sturdy as old Yamaha SG2000 and Studio Lord cases.

Joe

Back