LS85 pickups upgrade choices??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobbydog

Reaction score
Been thinking of doing this for a while - narrowed it down to Bareknuckle VHII's & Lollar imperials - purely from reading other reviews. Anyone out there have any experiences of either? Cheers

I have Lollar Imperials in my LS150 and am very happy with them, very 3 dimensional, I have Bareknuckles in other guitars and they sound fantastic, never tried the ones you mentioned though.
If it helps I recently took the Lollars out and tried a pair of Bareknuckle Mule/Riffraffs and it was about an hour later that I put the Lollars straight back in, I just preferred the sound.
but in their defence it is that exact same set I have in a Mahogany Tele and that also sounds great, so it really depends on the guitar in question and your specific taste for the tone you are looking for with that guitar.
I've heard great things about Lindy Fralin PAFS, I have a set of his single coils in a Strat and they are the best single coils I have played and heard.

Hope that helps

I tried a Lollar Low WInd neck with very good results I liked it a lot, it sounded on the soft side but vey useful.Regarding pickups for a Tokai I woulod recomend Seth Lovers if dont want to spend too much. Rolph 58s Pretenders if you want something similar to Seth Lovers but nicer sounding and great for bending (as far as both pretend to be a PAF 58 style pup they have something in common) and Wolfetone Dr. Vs or Legends (if you want a rounder tone), I like Dr. Vs in my old Tokai. Have a Marshallhead set in a 81 LS-50, but I have to dial them, they sound a bit agressive (to me)at stage level plugged In a 70s Marshall plus a 4x 12".

Tried Lollars, Bareknuckles (the stormy monday is my favouriete), Peter Florance Voodoo's and a few others IMO the best PAF style pickup available is the RD Pickups P1

http://www.rdpickups.com/

Saying that the MK II's that come with the Tokai are very nice pickups too

Latest posts

Back