is this a genuine 1981 LS120 ? value compared to a LS120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blindowl

Reaction score
hi all , i found this one on ebay for 1600 eur
http://www.ebay.de/itm/rar-lemon-Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-120-1981-/271073927077?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2577417550613502555%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D271073927077%26
and have an opprtunity to buy another 2011 LS 150 at 1200 eur
In order to choose between the two i need some help to check if the ebay guitar is a genuine ls120 , i found the serial number 1012985 in the registry but there is no model number in the settings , the seller is telling me that "you can see glue of the sticker saying 120 on the backside of the headstock" on the pic below but i don't see any 120.... see below :

t4.jpg
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b615/blindowl1/stickerLS120.png

if it's really a 1981 ls 120 , at 1600 eur can u tell me that compared to the 2011 ls150 at 1200eur it is really worth to put 400 eur more in it ?
i mean is the 81 ls 120 a strictly better grade model than the recent ls 150 ?
Thanx for your help

The sticker doesn't mean much. You can tell it's an LS-120 from the specs. It has fret edge binding, flametop, and DiMarzios.

I'd like to see some more pictures to make sure everything is ok but it sounds like a reasonable price for such a high end guitar. It has nice flame and also a very desirable color. Very much like an old Gibson burst.

I would rather have this guitar than a new Tokai. A vintage LS-120 is about as good as it gets.

Yeah, that's a very good looking LS-120 there.

I think you would have to be looking at least LS-250 level to match that, solely based on price inflation.

There are a few differences in specs if any of that bothers you, such as the short tenon and veneer top on the LS-120.

Then you have to think about old vs new; it's difficult to know exactly what the condition of an old guitar is on the internet.
Ask questions, or ideally try to check it out first.

Good luck. :)

well, if it should take a recent LS250 to match this one, there's no doubt , i ll go for this one !!!
thinking about old vs new i 'd rather take an old ( 31 years old)for the woodier sound though a short tenon joint on it
unfortunately i won't be able to check the two guitars, but i feel the sellers are really trust worthy talking about the conditions , i ll definitely go for the ls 120 given the fact there are not so many opprtunities to buy one of these guitars (especially here in france) these days ....

thanx for your help guys , hopefully i ll grab this one and show some pics if i win the bid !!

It is tough to tell from the pictures and description - is the finish original? If it is and the headstock is not broken then I think you should buy it.

hi cali , yes it is the original finish , and according to the seller, the previous owner who is a dealer in mij guitars told him it has a nitro finish
hopefully i will be able to get it by the end of the bid and shoot some pics once at home :lol:

Really hope you get it blindowl but you should know it has 65 watchers.... The bidding may well go quite a bit higher. Could do with more pic's but it looks beauty.

Dave

blindowl said:
...thinking about old vs new i 'd rather take an old ( 31 years old)for the woodier sound though a short tenon joint on it.

Yeah the short tenon is not an issue at all because the neck joint should still be a very high quality joint.

Good luck mate! :)

stunning looking LS-120..... it is a vener top as the line does not match up in the cavity.... none the less this is one rock machine !!!! you will absolutley love those vintage DiMarzio's... :D

I can't read the auction text but I do see a few details.

The tailpiece is not original - it should have some flaking of the plating and it is completely smooth. Also the bridge is not original, it should have brass saddles. The tuners and truss rod cover and pickups look ok.

Maybe also the electronics are changed since I see the words CTS in the description? You can find replacement parts for most of these items.

hi , yes i finally got it , we made the deal outside ebay and i had to pay a bit more to secure my purchase
the guitar should be on its way today and should arrive on wednesday maybe ....
:D :D :D :D :D i can't wait !!![/code]

thanx all for your support and advice ,many thx dave for letting me know there were 65 watchers , not sure i would have been able to afford te final price at the end of the bid !
and a special thanx to the seller , whom i talked to at the phone , a really very nice guy!!

blindowl said:
hi , yes i finally got it , we made the deal outside ebay and i had to pay a bit more to secure my purchase
the guitar should be on its way today and should arrive on wednesday maybe ....
:D :D :D :D :D i can't wait !!![/code]

Good stuff Boss!

I'm actually kind of excited myself, and looking forward to hearing about it. :D

Really pleased for you :) Starting to get GAS again myself but I don't need any more guitars. Or do I :- :-?

thanks guys , i appreciate it !
ready to shoot some pics , but here waiting i can't sleep at night :eek: :eek: :eek:
now i've got to sell my les paul faded to get some money back ....before i buy another guitar :p :p :p

I also own a worn brown studio with T top pickups but I will never sell her, so nice to feel the raw wood under my hands

Back