LS model question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin17

Reaction score
Hi!

If I see a LS that does not have a hole for the pickguard screw and slightly orange looking fretboard inlays, what model number could that be (08 starting serial, so likely 2008), flame maple top, fret edge binding...

Thanx, Peter

Thanx, that's what I thought also.
Any other possibilities?
I ask because I tried it acoustically yesterday and I was shocked how awful it sounded. My cheapo LS3 sounds MUCH better, so I can't believe it's a high end Tokai...

jacco said:
You're used to your LS-120, that's it!

;-)
I like my LS-120 very much, it's getting a refret right now (SS) and I'll be testing some other PUPs. It's got character and feels good.
My LS-3 is not bad either, not in the same class but still good.
I played a Gibby 30th Anniversary which is nice also, a Gibby from 1970 which is really good, an original from 1960 which also is really nice (interestingly quite similar to my LS-120), but the absolute best by FAR is a Tandler Beauty from a friend of mine, so I ordered one myself from Joerg (I'm lucky, he's 30km from me), 6 months wait...
The "maybe" LS-380 was awful, believe me, so I HOPE it could be a lesser model.

Didn't anyone tell you, the LS380 is an electric guitar, not an acoustic guitar...it will sound better if you plug it into an amplifier. ;)

Is there a way to determine the model on newer LSs? Something in the PUP or electronics cavities? I may see that guitar again next week...
It's so bad I can't believe it really is a LS380.

I don't find it all that surprising. You can't tell what a Les Paul is going to be like until you've put it together and strung it up. Even the best made will occasionally be acoustic duds. Wood is unpredictable.

I've certainly heard of a few original 'bursts that were dead sticks.

Flipside is you can get lucky and get an LS92 that sounds like heaven on earth.

Could also be an LS125,(now LS140) they have amber cell inlays and no pickguard installed when stock, if it has a two piece back it's an LS125 :wink:
Bridge pickup cavity might also have the model number in it.

merlin17 said:
I ask because I tried it acoustically yesterday and I was shocked how awful it sounded.

The acoustic sound of an electric guitar doesn't mean very much to me. Unless I plan to perform with it not plugged in :)

One time I bought a better sounding amp and all my guitars magically sounded better!

Latest posts

Back