Good replacement pickups for Korean ALS50Q?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 382

Reaction score
Hi,

In my first post I wondered how good are the stock pickups and so far I think those are good enough for my current purpose - learning to play better.

But after that I think there can be a time I start to hear the diffenrence between good and bad pickups and that time I maybe will do something like changing the pickups.

So what is the recommended pickup for this model? I have been browsing Seymour Duncan site and that's maybe the way I should go or is it? I tried to listen the sound samples for differen models like SH1 '59 and SH55 Seth Lover but hmm... what is the real difference? For me those sound almost the same and I can make same kind of sound with my current pickups as well... using effects and amp features.

How about using real Gibson pickups? I have seen that some Gibson ownwers replace their stock hardware with some 'better' ones and if they sell the quitar away they will put the stock pickups back that time.

Tell me how to figure out a good pickup for Tokai, please :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Figure out what tone you are after first. Do you play with a lot of processing? I have gone through a half-dozen Reborn/Love Rock guitars, and all but one had microphonic pickups. Every other one had to have the pickups potted or replaced. Now, that takes into account I play 'Classic' R&R with a Marshall JMP 'dimed'. No pedals, no POD, no nothing. I hear what the differences are, and I don't get fooled by having a vintage Tube Screamer mask everything.
Watch out with Seymour; a lot of his pickups are not potted. I sent him an email asking if I could get them potted (he does every other little extra for about $20 more), and his answer was a flat-out 'No'. Why not? Because in his opinion, potting changes the tone. Buy a potted pickup and you're OK. The Seth Lover and the Antiquity are not potted. So I went with a Pro II and a Pearly Gates in one Love Rock, and it works fine. Change those dinky little potentiometers while you are at it, and play with the values. The electronics have a lot of possibilities, but it's up to you and your music to say what will end up being the 'best'.

Back