They all LOVED my Tokai at the guitar show!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novosel

Reaction score
Went to a guitar show near Seattle a couple of weeks ago - it's been a few years since I attended one. As usual, I brought my 80's Love Rock because most shows usually give $1 off admission if you bring a guitar to trade (although I had no intention of doing that - I'm just, uh... frugal :wink: ). In the past, I would usually be swooped upon by dealers because of the Les Paul-type case, only to have to apologize with a "Sorry, it's just Japanese", and bear their looks of distain...

But time has really changed things now. Tokai has gotten such a good rep over the years, many of the dealers were anxious to see it, and I showed it proudly (it's got a great flametop). Most had never seen a Tokai up close, particularly one MIJ, and it was closely examined and stood up nicely to the thirty or so Gibson LP's at the show. One dealer was absolutely taken with it, and, yes, I entertained offers (but I was under strict orders from the missus to come home with the same guitar!)

Anyway, I wanted to share this with others that appreciate Tokais - I had a great day, and know that we can now hold our heads high! :D

:D Hey LB, here is the web site for the Greater Dallas Guitar Show www.guitarshow.com This show is the original that started the whole thing! Charly Wirz of Charly's Guitar Shop started this show in the early eighties, when he died Mark Polack{who played with Freddie King and his own band Cold Blue Steel} bought the shop and produced the shows to the major production it has become. He sold the shop last year to devote all his time to the show. You need to check this show out! It is held at the Texas State Fair Grounds, everyone who plays is there! Got to meet and hang out with James Burton one year ! A friend of mine from Louisianna invited me to his house for a Crawfish boil, he said a friend of his will be there from Shreveport LA. I go to his house and there is JB sittin at the kitchen table! My friend had no idea who he was or his history, he just said he was a good picker who owns a restaurant in Shreveport! Ricky Nelson, Elvis, Gram Parson's, Emmy Lou Harris, John Denver...The man who invented Chickn Pickn!!! It's heaven for players! TG

TG - isn't there another show in Arlington as well. I can't make the one in March due to previous committments but it would be cool to have a TGR gathering at one of the shows. Gives me a reason to come to Big D. There is a show in Austin in February but the last one was pretty pathetic.

Ned

Cash works best! But the real deals go on during the exhibitors set up and the teardown, If you want to come and work with an exhibitor during the show that could most likely be arranged! Just let me know and I'll send you to the right people! Later :wink:

Hey

That sounds like fun, Tokaiguy - I'd be interested and could volunteer help, staff a table, whatever

and I could probably justify it to my wife as a "research trip" for writing a story on the Tokai phenomenon for my Lifestyles section - yeah, sure, that's the angle! :roll:

cheers

Steve

Yeah Ned, there is an Arlington show but its more along the lines of what you have seen in Austin "weak"! The Dallas/ Great Southwest show is the Grand daddy of them all! It would be fun to get together there! The Hard Rock sponsers concerts every night after the show, there are concerts,jams etc... at the show. Its a lot of fun! Lots of Hot Texas Players and national /world renown pickers too!

Probably not going to make the Dallas show because of a conflict. We'll have to try and arrange something else.

Ned

Back