tokai 57 PAF humbucker...

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

Post Reply
mcv
Power chords are my friend
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:12 pm
Location: Mexico

tokai 57 PAF humbucker...

Post by mcv » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 pm

is it better than a seymour duncan 59?
i'm talking about the neck position, for playing clean AND rock...
please advise!

jacco
Guitar God
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by jacco » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:23 am

'Better' is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm not a fan of these Tokai PAFs or SDs in general, but imo the SD 59s have more dynamics than the Tokai 57s.

skydog
Guitar God
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Post by skydog » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:42 am

I've played both but not side by side in an A/B comparison.

le juge
Guitar God
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Le Mans - France

Post by le juge » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I prefer the Tokai '57 PUs. In a Flying V, the tone is very good to my ears (warm and dynamic).
The SD '59 are not bad PUs but I prefer the SH55 to the SH1.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9092
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 am

le juge wrote:I prefer the Tokai '57 PUs. In a Flying V, the tone is very good to my ears (warm and dynamic).
The SD '59 are not bad PUs but I prefer the SH55 to the SH1.
Same here.... my 84 V has the 57's in them and they sound great.

wulfman
Guitar God
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:12 am
Location: TOKYO!!!!

Post by wulfman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:04 am

To echo the above, I also have them in my 84 Tokai V and really like them. They both measure a bit above 9K and sound great. SDs sound pretty good in a general way to me and I also prefer the Seth Lovers.

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9092
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:39 am

wulfman wrote:To echo the above, I also have them in my 84 Tokai V and really like them. They both measure a bit above 9K and sound great. SDs sound pretty good in a general way to me and I also prefer the Seth Lovers.
Seth Lovers are always my first choice for aftermarket PAF replacements.

le juge
Guitar God
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Le Mans - France

Post by le juge » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 am

Lot of people here with a '84 TFV (with the stock PUs). :D

marcusnieman
Guitar God
Posts: 9092
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 8:48 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Post by marcusnieman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:35 am

le juge wrote:Lot of people here with a '84 TFV (with the stock PUs). :D
It was a good year apparently.... just like the 81 ES models

skydog
Guitar God
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Post by skydog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:38 am

marcusnieman wrote:
wulfman wrote:To echo the above, I also have them in my 84 Tokai V and really like them. They both measure a bit above 9K and sound great. SDs sound pretty good in a general way to me and I also prefer the Seth Lovers.
Seth Lovers are always my first choice for aftermarket PAF replacements.
But those just aren't expensive enough! :-?

Charlie Wardick
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am

Post by Charlie Wardick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:51 pm

What should these 57 PAFs read on ohm meter? I have 2 of them that both measure over 17k ohms. Seems way high for PAF.

billysamboy1
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:15 pm

Post by billysamboy1 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:27 pm

mine measure about 8.4k ohms

Charlie Wardick
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:47 am

Post by Charlie Wardick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 pm

That is more in line with what I expected to measure. The base plates and stickers sure seem authentic, but I guess all the other parts could have been swapped.

Post Reply