To Wah or not to Wah? What was the question?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybone

Reaction score
OK, to some of you, this may seem like another daft question, but its one I've been asking myself for a while.

Should I buy myself a Wah pedal or should I just keep the money and put it toward something else?

Reasons for:
Add another dimension to solo's
Erm.....

Against:
Cost
Which one?
Cost
Would I really use the **** thing?
Erm.....

Pedals being considered:
Morley Classic Wah
Dunlop Cry Baby
BOSS PW10

HELP! :wink:

8) I'm with L.B. on that! The Standard Dunlop Crybaby works great and is reasonably priced, but be kind to those who you are playing for just like few people are real good slide players, few guys use a wah tastfully! John Cippolina on the first Quicksilver Messenger Service Recording does an instrumental "The Fool" that is the Best example of how to really use the Wah. But L.B, is right about using it to sculpt a tone! Good Luck! :p

A lot of wahs (eg. Dunlop & Vox reissues) have terrible bypasses and will kill your high-end in bypass mode. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to modify them to true-bypass (need a new switch nad some soldering skills).

The Dunlop 535Q wah already has true bypass, but it's more expensive and harder to find secondhand.

I'm in the process of checking out a Digitech RP21D that has an expression pedal that works as a wah. Looks like this darn thing can do ALOT of good stuff...

I have a Vox 847 wah that I bought new in 93 that I like alot...I did the bypass switch mod to it and changed a few caps,put a Fulltone inductor and Fulltone pot in it.....It's better sounding than the recent Vox(Dunlop)Clyde McCoy....The Clyde over here in the states is around $149,The 847 is around $100...

I spend the $150 on the Buddah wah for my vintage wah tastes if I was to spend that much today on a great sounding wah....Alot of wahs have come out since the 847 I bought in 93..The Cry Baby I bought in the early 80's I totally hated!

John

Ramsale, I had a ZOOM GFX707, then a BOSS ME30 multi FX, they're great in as much as they're cheap / value for money etc, but there's something missing IMO. I ended up buying a load of pedals when I bought the Marshall as they simply sound better in conjunction with a Valve amp.

Not tried the higher end Multi FX'x though apart from a POD.

Well, I went out and bought a Morley Classic Wah today, after talking to the guy in the shop about which one to get etc. Got it home, plugged it in, and.....It sucks big time, its going back tomorrow. It seems all the Wah is at the back / rear of the treddle and there's fizz everywhere else.

Saying that I was digging about in the pedal collection this afternoon, and dug out an EH Mini Q Tron (forgot I had it!) and played about with it. Wah problem solved. This thing does Auto Wah but responds to your picking, so its like you're pumping the treddle on a Wah anyway!

Verdict - Mini Q Tron stays, Morley Classic Wah GOES!

If to wah or not to wah is the question, I'd definately have to say WAH! ;)
The only fx's I use (aside from distortion of course), is a Dunlop 3-in-1 wah, and a Marshall tremolo (TR-1?, can't remember), and that's what I need :p

The Digitech RP21D has alot of different parameters for the expression pedal, but what is really nice is being able to choose whether you want it set toe heavy, heel heavy, or lineal. I didn't know there was that much adjustment in it, until I started playing with the various settings and levels... It's pretty cool, so far. Kinda strange to program at first, but I'm getting the hang of it... (Talk to me about it's capabilities in a couple months, after I dive further into it...)
Dave

The Budda Wah is a superb. True bypass as standard and built to last. I paid ?100 for a mint 2nd hand one on Loot - can't think of a better one for the money. Has to be done!

Mark 8)

OK, enlighten me! Is true bypass when the volume doesn't increase when you activate the wah? And, how do I fix this on my Cry Baby?

:eek: Maybe I should get a marketing job with Line 6 cause the wah on the Flextone floorboard is modeled after a Vox wah of the 6o's and it sounds great! :eek:

Anybody tried the kitchy wah by Danelectro that looks like a car? I think there's three different wah's in it and with my love for "things that looks silly" I might consider buying it if it's any good.
:eek:

Barry: thanks. In other words, I would have to have to modify it in order to reduce the output of wah contra bypass? I think the difference is a tad too big.....

Gregert: Otto Minde has one for sale, about 1000 - 1100Nkr, if you're interested. This one also includes both 60ies and 70ies fuzz! It's totally funky, you'll love it :p

OK, I'll open it up the next time I get my hands on it, and check out which type of switch it's got! I don't worry about value on this one, this one's for keeping.

Back