Favorite combo amps for Tokai strat replicas?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeezer

Reaction score
Well, you humbucking mavens have had your fun .. but what about you single coil freaks out there?

I have two Tokais. A Silver Star SS-60 from 86-86 and an AST-56 from the same era. I play them through a 96 Vibrolux Reverb reissue (one of the early reissue ones with blond Tolex - I was very lucky to stumble across this one) and it sounds great, even though I should retube pretty soon. This amp was designed by the Fender Custom Shop (Bruce Zinky and Co.) but built on the factory floor. It's a 40-watter with two 10s so I never really turn it up unless my wife and son are out of the house (heh heh) but even at 3 or 4 on the volume knob it sounds decent. This amp also has vibrato through both channels. I knew very little about tube amps when I bought it (actually I still know very little) but it has been a dandy. I also have a 71 Vibro Champ which, at times, rivals the Vibrolux for sheer funk, although it has no reverb. I guess I like retro-style vibrato amps. Also play a 78 LP Pro Deluxe through it, which also sounds great with its P-90s. Anyway, the Vibrolux can grunt and bark but still retains a sweetness that I really enjoy.

I am so impressed with the Silver Star. It has the CBS headstock, a narrow neck, a lovely tint to the all-maple neck and a comfy C shape profile. The pickups sound like pure vintage to me. It's taking me awhile to get used to the AST-56 with its low radius neck and wider board but I'm beginning to like it. Even though some may diss the CBS-era Strat, I love my Silver Star. It's like getting a Custom Shop 69 Strat for $495 (w/tweed case)!!

Enough self-absorbed nattering for me ? how about the rest of you? What vibrates your Springy Sound? :D

Fender Cyber Twin
1973 50 watt 1987 Marsall non-master volume head thru Marshall Vintage 30 4x12 cabinet

66 BF Pro Reverb 2x12 fender combo with a GSP 2101 processor into the amp....

Lately it's been 100% Cyber Twin overall and for all of my "many" guitars!

:lol:

John

My little Ampeg SuperJet is the BOMB with my AST-50s and Strat... It's a single 12" running at 50 watts that will peel wallpaper, if you crank it up. Nice GrooveTube tone... Reminds me of my old Super 60, that I NEVER should have traded...

Hey Ramsale

I've played through an early 60s ReverboRocket and you are correct ? Ampeg tube amps are awesome!

Steve from New Mexico

Steve: When I can get an extra couple hours, I'll post some sound samples, so you can hear the rig. I'm trying to remodel a kitchen at present...

Played my beloved '78 ST50 through my brand new Fender Vibro Champ 68 Reverb amp . Great great tones for me . I’ve never sounded so good , I’d say 😊
A bit expensive , but worth every single penny .
Love this amp .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back