My new Tokai :)

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

warxy
Guitar God

Post by warxy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am

Paladin2019 wrote: I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.
Ive just placed an order for the faber "tone lock" kit, tail piece and locking bridge. :lol: hopefully they will all fit..

DaveWW
Guitar God

Post by DaveWW » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Good move. I've got those on most of mine and they are great!

Dave

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:Any advices would be great! :)
I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.
+1 I too prefer the Faber gear

karppi
Guitar God

Post by karppi » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am

marcusnieman wrote:
Paladin2019 wrote:
I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.
+1 I too prefer the Faber gear
Fabers are just great piece of hardware. I used to change lockable bridge, alu tailpiece and tone kit (studs and washers for the tailpiece). Gottfried has always offered very good service to me, despite of all the rumours here.

However the sound will change and it is pretty much a matter of taste if you like it or not. They are not for every Les Paul out there. With my R8 I prefer the original stuff for example. Same thing with my 2004 LS200 even it has 'zinc' tailpiece and non-brass bridge saddles. Especially the locking bridge seems to cut some smoothness typical for a LP but you might get some brightness and attack with it, which is usually a good thing with low budget Tokais for example.

warxy
Guitar God

Post by warxy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am

Yeah after checking out the faber parts, they just seem to be more solid and "go to" for me.
How long did you guys take to get it from shipped to your house tho? Its been a week already and i asked for express but it still hasnt arrived. :-?

Jamesb
Plucker

New Tokai LS98F

Post by Jamesb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am

Hi Warxy,

Copliments for your purchase! My I ask how much have payed for and who is the seller?

Thank you in advance,
James
Jamesb

Big Willie Style
Guitar God

Post by Big Willie Style » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:36 am

Quick Faber question - can you use the rings with your exiting studs or do you need to buy the studs too? Thanks

Jason

Emiel
Guitar God

Post by Emiel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 am

Paladin2019 wrote:
I agree :). On my ex-Gibson Les Paul Standard I had Faber hardware too, simple excellent stuff. I don't have any experience with Tonepro though. Either way, be sure to get them with the right measurements..!

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Big Willie Style wrote:Quick Faber question - can you use the rings with your exiting studs or do you need to buy the studs too? Thanks

Jason
You need the studs, otherwise they wouldn't lock the tailpiece in place.

DaveWW
Guitar God

Post by DaveWW » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:53 pm

I've used left over rings from the set on other none faber tailpieces so you don't need the studs. I think you're getting mixed up with the bridge?

Dave

Big Willie Style
Guitar God

Post by Big Willie Style » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks Dave. That's what I was wondering. Just by looking at the studs online, they look similar to what's on my guitars now. I was wondering if I could just buy the spacers and use with my existing studs. Quite a bit cheaper. I'd use the existing tailpieces as well since they're already aluminum. Dave, do yours fit as snugly as they do on the Faber studs?

Jason

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Post by Paladin2019 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 am

Big Willie Style wrote: I was wondering if I could just buy the spacers and use with my existing studs.
Jason
Ahem... You need the studs, otherwise they wouldn't lock the tailpiece in place.

I suppose in theory you could use them as spacers and make a slight improvement to the mechanical connection between tailpiece and body, but why buy locking hardware that doesn't lock?

DaveWW
Guitar God

Post by DaveWW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Paladin is technically right. If you use the locking rings as I've done on two of my guitars you will potentially have a gap between the tailpiece and the collars/shoulders of the stud depending on how good a fit it is. If you buy the faber studs they have no lower shoulder so they bolt down hard with no gap onto the spacers. In practice I'm not sure it makes much if any difference on mine as the studs and tailpiece fit pretty snugly.

Dave

Big Willie Style
Guitar God

Post by Big Willie Style » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Sorry guys, just took a look at the website and the schematic. I see what you mean now Pally.

Now, I know a lot of people love the tailpiece lock kits, but do any of you use the locking bridge as well? Notice any advantage if so (besides staying in place during string changes)?

Thanks for the input guys!

Jason

DaveWW
Guitar God

Post by DaveWW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm

I've got one locking faber bridge and one none locking faber bridges. They're both excellent bridges but I don't think there's any noticeable difference in tone.

Dave