another happy tokai guy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeezer

Reaction score
Discovered this wonderful site while researching a Tokai Silver Star I later bought from Elderly Instruments' Web site (www.elderly.com). As far as I can tell it's a TSS-60 with a one-piece maple neck (no laminate) in a vintage white/cream color that almost has a slightly green cast to it. Has a few tiny dings but in excellent shape with almost no fret wear. Looks like nitro lacquer to me. I got it for $495 with the tweed case, and when the Elderly saleswoman found it for me and looked at it, she said "You know, this is a really great Strat here - when did this come in?"

Has original pickups, hardware and it sounds sweet and clangy through a blond Tolex Vibrolux Reverb reissue I was very fortunate to pick up here in New Mexico. The Silver Star has the large headstock which I love as it generally produces a big fat tone. I also own a 97 Fender Hendrix Tribute Strat which is a lefty strung righty, and a 85 Japanese Squire which has a new repro CBS neck and Van Zandt Blues pickups. Will keep the Tokai pickups as they deliver a nice vintage tone although they are not as hot as the Van Zandts or the Hendrix Fender Vintage 69s. I sold an 86 Japanese Contemporary Strat to pay for the Silver Star, which is a far better guitar IMHO than the Contempo. I was already sold on the quality of Fender Japan, as my Squire is first-rate, especially with the Van Zandts - so it was just a short step for me to take a chance on a Tokai. Wow, are these great guitars! This is my midlife crisis I suppose - instead of chasing blondes I'm running after blonde Strats! Could be worse I guess ...

And I just bought an AST-56 last week on ebay so I guess I am hooked but good!! Now to pay for it all ... :D

:D Hey Tokaigeezer ! Allright another Vanzandt guy! I've been tell'in these guys about them pup's and now I have a wittness! Welcome ! TG

Hey Tokaiguy

Yes the VZs are really good - not cheap but I especially like the bass response on the neck pickup - very very klangy and deep - I got mine from Torres Engineering with the Bluescaster wiring setup which gives you a midrange option on the first tone knob- they cost more then the guitar itself (a pawn shop Japanese three-bolt Squire) but if you like the Stevie Ray sound they nail it pretty good

But I'm not a pickup snob - I just like whatever works and gives up a cool Strat sound - the '86 Silver Star Tokai-made pickups sound nice plus they're 16 years old - why change them? they'll only get better. Now I know why you all have been raving about Tokais!

Thanks for the holler, Tokaiguy! :)

also thanks to Ned for this forum and the Web site! :)

Latest posts

Back