Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

thechadz03
Sus4add11

Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?

Post by thechadz03 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 am

I love my Tokai guitars but its seems that nobody famous uses them!!
I know Billy Gibbons occasionally plays a love rock and SRV used to play springys but there must be more surely ..... there can't surely be just one famous alive person playing Tokais on stage?

The only MIJ electric guitars I see famous people play commonly are either ESP or Ibanez but here in the U.K Tokai are in loads of stores as well so it is a bit strange.

Anyone want to add to this list of known Tokai players? Do you think Fender and Gibson have some sort of hold on the music companies? Seems odd.

XLarge
Guitar God

Post by XLarge » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:35 am

Who knows???
Probabily many artists use Tokai. I could think they rip off the logo 7okai to put a Gibson or a Fender logo on their instruments...... :P
Could be possible????? :wink: :wink: :wink:

thechadz03
Sus4add11

Post by thechadz03 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:38 am

yeah I guess they may change the logo but how many people here do that?! That is blasphemy!! haha!

Leif
Guitar God

Post by Leif » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 am

Given that Tokai are unable to sell new product in the USA, and that most famous musicans are from the USA, it is not that surprising that so few use Tokai. But you might expect Europeans to use them. Still, maybe they are not well known, as in the UK there are only a few dealers that stock new items. So if you are a musician and you travel to your local shop to try out gear, chances are you will only come across Gibson, PRS, Fender etc.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:51 am

Billy Gibbons is a genuine Tokai user - there is footage of him using a Love Rock on TV & at live gigs.

SRV? I remain to be convinced. I believe he held a Springy once for a photo, but I'm not convinced the connection goes any deeper than that.

Johnny Whitehill, who used to play in Paul Lamb & the Kingsnakes (before Lamb replaced him with Lamb's much less impressive son... :roll: ) played a Sunburst rosewood board Goldstar, with Seymour Duncan pickups, I think. The guitar can be seen on the cover of Whitehill's solo album Guitar Slinger.

Otis Grand's gold Strat is, so I'm told, a re-badged Tokai.

There are others, but that's all I can think of right now.

Mike

stratman323

Re: Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?

Post by stratman323 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:55 am

thechadz03 wrote:Anyone want to add to this list of known Tokai players? Do you think Fender and Gibson have some sort of hold on the music companies? Seems odd.
Let's put it this way. If I worked for Fender or Gibson & I saw an influential guitarist using a Tokai, I would probably offer to give them a free Fender/Gibson to encourage them to promote my brand every time they played. It's not really feasible for a small company like Tokai to do the same in reverse.

I imagine free guitars for endorsement deals or publicity are simply tax-deductible expenses for the big companies.

Diamond
Guitar God

Re: Famous musicians who use tokai guitars?

Post by Diamond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 am

stratman323 wrote:
thechadz03 wrote:Anyone want to add to this list of known Tokai players? Do you think Fender and Gibson have some sort of hold on the music companies? Seems odd.
Let's put it this way. If I worked for Fender or Gibson & I saw an influential guitarist using a Tokai, I would probably offer to give them a free Fender/Gibson to encourage them to promote my brand every time they played. It's not really feasible for a small company like Tokai to do the same in reverse.
I agree...this is the correct answer.

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

Mention Tokai to any famous musician/guitarist (especially ones endorsed by Fender or Gibson), or any non-famous but professional experienced guitarists and you always get the same re-action.
They either once owned one, or played one, had a friend who owned one, heard one, worked on or repaired one, and they all say the same thing...GREAT GREAT guitars.
Put one in their hands and they all re-act the same way...they shake their heads in amazement.

That's the ultimate endorsement of a brand...IMO

Mention Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, ESP, or any other brand to the same musicians and they all say the same thing...they've played some great ones, some mediocre ones, and they've also played many that were terrible.

I'll save you the trouble, Mike. :D

karppi
Guitar God

Post by karppi » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 am

What!? You haven't heard about Disco Ensemble!? Shame on you guys ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_Ensemble
http://www.onemetal.com/2009/05/31/inte ... -ensemble/

Very bad ass group actually, worth of checking them out.

If I remember it right they have said in some interview that they use Tokais because the get them free. So I believe they have some kind of sponsor contract(?)
Last edited by karppi on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

Diamond wrote:I'll save you the trouble, Mike. :D
It would be fun to argue with you Diamond, but I can't really disagree with anything you said. :lol:

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 am

Let's not forget Matt Schofield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfi9fKpm3yU

mattim
Guitar God

Post by mattim » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:51 am

Robert Fripp used to play Tokai Love Rocks equipped wth Roland GR-300 guitar synth.

Matti
Backyard of Parliament

Tokai TTE-55 A2G
Tokai HES180 2013
Tokai LS-150 VF 2009
Tokai FA 235 VF 2009
Also other 4-6-string instruments

messer
Sus4add11

Post by messer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 am

And what about Burny? ;)

- Steve Jones (Sex Pistols)

- Duff McKagan (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver, Loaded)

CW
Guitar God

Post by CW » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:27 am

Paul Brett, who played lead guitar for the Strawbs, and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

See http://www.fret-dancer.com/viewguitars.php?groupid=44

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 am

To be fair, although we quote him as a Tokai player, Billy Gibbons has been a Tele player for while now, hasn't he? I didn't see that coming!