05 (?) Tokai LS150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixGunLover

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I used to own a Tokai LS150 which I sold and am currently trying to buy back. The serial number started with 05, which I take means it was made in 2005.

From what I understand, Tokai has periodically raised the model numbers so that lower model Tokais become the next, higher model (increasing prices across the range).

I was hoping you experts might be able to help me work out the specifications for this 2005 model Tokai LS150. I have some pictures on my computer, but not online, so I wasn't able to link any of them. I can tell you that it was in a darker red/yellow sunburst which I believe may have been Heritage Dark Cherry; it had no pickguard; a beautiful flame top; the 'tulip' style tuners; a bone nut (I think); trapezoid inlays with a sort of greenish/yellowish tinge and a rosewood fretboard.

If this model were on sale today, would it be a different model number? And indeed, was it a different model number in 2005 than it might have been a few years prior?

Any help you could provide would be much appreciated - thanks in advance to any who respond.

Hi SixGun. Are you hoping to get the exact same guitar back, or a new one? In any case, yes, the model number will have changed since 2005.

As an example the current LS160 used to be the LS150 and before that it was the LS135. Japan went through a long period with low or no inflation, so the model numbers were stable for quite a while before that, but the LS135/LS150/LS160 transition has only taken three or four years. If you're right in saying that your guitar was an LS150 in 2005, then my guess is that it's the current LS260, but that really is just a guess and certainly isn't based on personal knowledge of that model at that time. Another possibility is that it's a lower model, in which case more info is essential.

Where and when did you buy it, for example? New, secondhand, with paperwork? What else can you tell us? Do you remember what the electrics were like? Any more photos?

Thanks very much for your response. I'm looking to buy back the exact same guitar - I'm currently in negotiations with the person I sold it to.

I live in New Zealand and bought the Tokai LS150 from a retailer (New Zealand Rockshops) sometime around late 2006. They used to have some information on their website but they have since sold their stock and the information is gone - too bad I didn't pay more attention at the time. I didn't do the pickup installation myself so I can't shed any light on the electronics (nor did I take off the back cover, to my knowledge). I wish I could be of more help.

That said, I am having the current owner send me some pictures later in the week to see what condition it's in these days - I'll be sure to post those up also.

Was it new then? Did you have Tokai's paperwork? If not, it's the woodwork that's really going to tell you what it is. To be the equivalent of the current LS260 it should have a one-piece back and a solid flame top rather than just a flame veneer. You'll need to take a look inside the pickup cavities to check on that.

Around 2005, Tokai received a batch of 3A, I think it was, Maple. Nice timber.

So, a run of 1 piece Mahogany backed, 2 piece 3A Maple topped, Lacquer Finished with USA pots, caps, switch and jack was produced. The fretboard inlays were organic rather than acrylic too, from memory.

'05 LS150 8)

They were a very nice model. I can understand why you are trying to hunt it down. Don't sell it again....OK :lol:

Yes, very nice.

Back