How Do I Tell Which Model Love Rock I Have?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I posted a couple weeks ago about the '80 Love Rock I picked up. I have gigged twice with the guitar and it's great, but I don't know which model I have. Is there any way to tell, anything I should be looking for?

The previous owner didn't know what model it was either. Any help is appreciated.

There is a photo of the guitar in my previous thread if anybody wants to see it.

This might be a good place to start:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-gibson-models.html

We were waiting for more pics on that other thread of yours, can't tell a thing with one long shot of the guitar in its case. :)

I have no idea how to post pics here, sorry. Another member posted the first for me. After doing some research here (and I should have done that in the first place), I have determined I have an LS-150. Not too shabby, I'd say.

The guitar has one of the nicest flame tops I have ever seen, and now that it's been set up, it plays amazingly well. This one is a lifer.

Now, the only probelm is, I want another lawsuit Les Paul!

DrumBob, if you want me to post the photos for you I would be happy to! a LS-150 is a pretty rare score, would be nice to see some pics :D

DrumBob said:
I have no idea how to post pics here, sorry. Another member posted the first for me. After doing some research here (and I should have done that in the first place), I have determined I have an LS-150. Not too shabby, I'd say.

The guitar has one of the nicest flame tops I have ever seen, and now that it's been set up, it plays amazingly well. This one is a lifer.

Now, the only probelm is, I want another lawsuit Les Paul!

Go to a free photo hosting site..... www.photobucket.com

Load your pics from you computer there

Copy and paste the image codes here......... Simple

I have tried photobucket and I'm a computer klutz, so I had a problem with it. Since then, I decided it's too much trouble to deal with, but I did take some pics tonight of the guitar. With some help, they'll get posted with help from JohnA. I'll PM you for your email address.

So, the LS-150 is pretty rare, huh? I'm quite sure that's what I have. The kid I bought it from got it in London a few years ago, and since he's pretty much an acoustic player, he hardly touched it at all. It needed to have the truss rod nut re-tapped for metric, and now the truss rod works and the guitar plays great.

But the flame top is the most spectacular feature. It's stunning.

What do LS-150s generally sell for? I think I got a very good deal.

DrumBob said:
...It needed to have the truss rod nut re-tapped for metric, and now the truss rod works and the guitar plays great...

Was the nut stripped?

Looking forward to the photos!

The truss rod nut that was on there was spinning freely. The tech I took it to, a guy I never used before, first thought the truss rod was broken. Then, he said the nut was bad, so he mistakenly replaced the broken one with a non-metric example. He was able to adjust the neck a little using that. I took the guitar to my regular luthier last weekend, and he machined the nut to metric, so now everything works just fine. The truss rod is free and moves nicely. Pics will be sent tonight.

Here's the pics of Bob's guitar. A Beauty, but not a 1980 LS150 I'm certain of that, no fret edge binding , in fact I'm quite certain it isn't as old as an '80 it looks too new. Would need a few more pics to ascertain what it is.

TokaiLoveRock004.jpg

TokaiLoveRock005.jpg

Does the truss rod cover have 3 screw holes in it?

Can we see the back of the headstock? Is there any writing on the back of the headstock? Any serial number?

stratman323 said:
Does the truss rod cover have 3 screw holes in it?

Can we see the back of the headstock? Is there any writing on the back of the headstock? Any serial number?

It does, but I think it's just a replacement bell shaped one, I don't think there's 3 holes in the guitar.

Looks like an LS98F to me...or whatever the model number was whenever this guitar was made.

Serial number 0204950. The only thing on the back of the headstock is a small sticker that says Holiday Music. The previous owner said he bought it in London.

I really don't care how old it is. It sounds and plays great. Had it on the gig tonight and it killed.

There are Tokai models placed up and down a scale. All are good, but they have different features. One thing that would give more clues is, does it have a one-piece, two-piece, or three-piece back.

The joins are often very good, very subtle, and almost invisible, so you've got to look for them.

Not surprised it's a killer guitar though. Almost all of them are. They leave a certain American maker of Les Paul's in their dust :p

DrumBob said:
Serial number 0204950. The only thing on the back of the headstock is a small sticker that says Holiday Music. The previous owner said he bought it in London.

I really don't care how old it is. It sounds and plays great. Had it on the gig tonight and it killed.

The S/N is 2002

First, the truss rod cover is wrong. That's what was on there when I got the guitar. Second, the back appears to be one piece, but maybe two. It's very hard to tell. It's not more than two, I'm sure.

Checking the serisal numbers, it appeared I have an '80, but maybe not.

Was 2002 made in Japan? It seems that way.

Back