7okai Springy Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerslinger

Reaction score
I've located a 7okai Springy Sound strat with 5 digit sin and early so called "Law Suit" headstock and I don't know whether to buy it or pass.Reason being that someone has fucked with the pickups as it now has a Humbucker at the bridge, some kind of bar p/u at middle and possibly original single at the neck.The asking price is $450.Cdn.If I buy it I would want to put as close to original p/u's as possible back in it and I would also have to replace the pickguard as it has been altered to accept the Humbucker.Should I grab this one or bide my time and wait for a more original one to come along?
Oh yeah,it has a 50 sticker on the neck so it must be an ST50.
I didn't play it, I just gave it a visual scan as the alterations put me off but I can't get it out of my head.
Any advice from the members?

I think for the money involved...I'd wait for a cleaner one...even if it's a higher price. You'll have invested the same cash after you "fix up" the butchered one... If you like working on them though, and bringing one back to spec, it might be for you. There is always another one that will show up, unless you need to have a special finish, or something that makes one guitar unique over all the others. Good luck, and let us know what you do.
Member Dana is going trough same situation here: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1555

I'd buy it...and restore it back to stock.

For that amount of money, it isn't too bad a buy.
I would keep it as a experimental or backup guitar to my other Springy or you could enjoy it until a more original one comes your way...and then have 2 Springys.
Oh, the possibilities are endless. :lol:

regards
Peter Mac

I like tinkering around on guitars, so i would use all the mods i see on the guitar to knock down the price (might not be applicable in all countries), and then with some of the money i saved, try to bring it back to life.

I gotta be honest, i think you guys in the UK are just getting raped on these guitars. I am seriously thinking about picking up some guitars here and sending them to forum members at what i pay for them (very cheap). My heart goes out to you guys. But i'm not sure how much shipping would cost. Shipping costs alone may be a big turn off to ship these guitars to the UK.

Does anyone know how much it costs to mail a guitar via USPS to UK or AUS?

Dana

Hi Dana,
If you do decide to collect some gear for shipping to the UK keep us informed. If you can find new stuff in the UK prices aren't bad, but not too many places stock new Tokais (although they are getting more common). I guess people tend to hang on to them which pushes second hand prices up a bit.

Well I went back to have another look-see and it was much better than I remembered it from my first visit.The guitar was VG to Excellent in condition except for the mods.The mods appear to be well done and the previous owner probably considered them as upgrades as the guitar sounds awesome.So many sound possibilities.
So I had to buy it.:lol:
It's black and has a slab maple neck with skunk stripe.Bridge is stamped "final prospec".Tuners say deluxe. 8 screws to the pickguard, so pretty much original except for the "upgrades":roll:
Did I mention it sounds awesome. I may just leave her be :wink:
SIN is 12912 I think that makes her an '81.
I got the price knocked down by another $100.00 Cdn too 8)
I'll be changin' the strings in a few days so I'll pull the neck and the scratch plate to see whats under the hood.
I think I'll call her "Blackie" :lol:

Well I'm almost there with the refurb.
I have a set of single coils out of a MIJ '62 re-issue strat that are going into the Springy as soon as I get the replacement 8 screw pickguard from StewMac.(hope those darn screw holes line up ).
I'm retaining the switch, volume and tone pots from the original Tokai pickguard so it should be as close to stock as possible without actual Tokai pups. I think I'll hold onto the old guard and pups; a DiMarrzio HB, a Seymour Duncan with a Bar Magnet stamped 2NQ which according to the SD site is a mini HB?, and the neck pup,which could be original, I'm not sure,no markings on it , or maybe ebay them,I don't know. I'll post some before and after pics sometime down the road. I'm looking forward to the article by Stratdeluxer on replacing pups. 8)

Here's the finsihed product.

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ratsatam205/lst?.dir=/

Please excuse the feet in the full body shots, I just got the Digicam and I'm just learning how to use it. I had taken some before pics on my 35mm and when they're developed I'll scan and post 'em.

Don't tell me the link doesn't work for others. :oops:
**** :evil:
Works fine for me. :-?
Nice pics of my Love Rock too.

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ratsatam205/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.view=t

Does that work?

Don't tell me the link doesn't work for others. :oops:
**** :evil:
Works fine for me. :-?
Nice pics of my Love Rock too.

Pics are in Photo Album.
Try this then...

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ratsatam205/lst?.dir=/&.view=t&.src=ph&.done=

I think the links will work now, seems my collection was "private"
and I edited the settings to make them public.
At least I hope I did... :oops:
Someone please let me know :roll:

Latest posts

Back